Double wall, recessed windows

DzinEye

I made single wall definition that has two framing layers, thus creating a double wall... and I would like to have the windows appear recessed on the exterior.  The window DBX gives us the recessed ability by selecting 'enlarged' from the double wall options part of the casings panel.  However, this only seems to work if the window is installed on the interior wall of a 2-part wall made by first drawing an interior wall, then putting in a window, then adding the exterior wall, as per the attached screenshot. 

Does anyone know if there's another way to do this when using a single wall definition?... essentially this means, how can I force the window to install on the interior side of the double wall?

Dbl wall window.JPG

9 minutes ago, DRAWZILLA said:

Try the inset setting here.

Thanks Perry... ya, I'm familiar with that setting, but unless there's more to it that I'm not aware of, that cases out the full depth of the opening instead of with the exterior finish returning as I'd like...per the side by side pic attached.

Dbl wall window2.JPG

3 hours ago, DRAWZILLA said:

try checking the jamb depth to fit to wall and add a casing the same width as the jamb is thick, maybe 1" or so

3 hours ago, Alaskan_Son said:

I assume you've already tried Options>Recessed>To Sheathing Layer/To Main Layer?

Thanks for trying guys.  Yep, I tried all those things and several other settings permutations, but nothing moves the window back to the inside wall so the inset is the full depth of the outer wall and it's stone veneer.    It seems that building the wall from two separate walls is the only way to get the desired result.

• Like 1

You can get the Recessed setting to work by just sticking to a single Main Layer and moving the rest to your Exterior Layers.  That being said, you'll also have some other issues to contend with.  Increasing the rough opening settings will fix some of it, but that causes some issues of it's own with regard to framing.  Really just depends what you're after.  I think you just have to choose your battles wisely.

• Upvote 1

BTW,  I think this is the  "buck wall" method that I was looking for several years ago.

However,  I guess the "buck" width is limited to 3.5" in this example.

But with this method I must use 2 walls and 2 set of top plates.  IOW,  I can't do this in a 2x12 wall.

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, Alaskan_Son said:

You can get the Recessed setting to work by just sticking to a single Main Layer and moving the rest to your Exterior Layers.  That being said, you'll also have some other issues to contend with.  Increasing the rough opening settings will fix some of it, but that causes some issues of it's own with regard to framing.  Really just depends what you're after.  I think you just have to choose your battles wisely.

Thanks Michael.  I can't believe I didn't think of that... I suggest doing that all the time to people on here for various reasons.  It didn't come to me for some reason in this case.  I'll check out what it's doing/not doing by that approach per your additional comments.   Going to check out Scott's advice now... 

4 hours ago, dshall said:

BTW,  look at this plan.  Look at the two pics.  The only difference is :

Thank you Scott.  It looks like the solution was essentially what Michael suggested, in moving the outer framing layers out of the 'main' layer in the wall definition... with some additional tweaking.   It appears that there is yet some finagling to do to get it to look quite right though...if it's possible.  That too may be what Michael was referring to.  

Either way... thanks for the info guys, I'll mess with it a bit more later today.

@Alaskan_Son  @dshall   Ha ha... I have something else more urgent to work on at the moment but just couldn't let this sit without fussing with it!
Scott.. I kind of dismissed what I saw in your 'fix' plan, because I saw z-fighting going on all around the outer stone where the window is recessed, so I thought the solution wasn't going to be satisfactory, but I put in my window and it worked just fine without the z-fighting, so I think this may do the trick for me.    I just wonder now if having the outer framing pushed out of the 'main' layer is going to cause me other issues down the road that I don't yet see, portend by Michaels comment?... sigh... ah well... I guess I'll travel that road and find out.

2 hours ago, dshall said:

However,  I guess the "buck" width is limited to 3.5" in this example.

I can use wider casing than that  if I increase the windows rough openings... but of course that won't be the right window framing if you're using the framing and materials aspect.  Two separate walls is really the way to go for this to work best for correct framing etc., as far as I can tell.  Also although probably a bigger pain in the butt to actually frame than a single 2x12 wall, it's better to have two separate walls for energy and sound proofing reasons...so not really a bad thing?