Seeking suggestions for method for entry porch spanning three floors

rockyshepheard

The red line sketched on 3rd floor plan is how I am currently approaching this. It will form a box that I cut away what I don't want.
Alternatively, I could model entire addition, import and easily move into position. Problem is it will not have roof plane functionality.
Or I could model and import everything except red, which will allow for roof planes.
I was thinking perhaps a rounded top window for the front opening and rectangular windows on sides for openings but need it clear for columns.
Am I completely off track here?
Thanks for your suggestions.
Rocky

20200829_205528.jpg

VERS 4 two archways.plan

11 minutes ago, solver said:

Multiple ways. Just think about the tools you have available.

ct1.thumb.png.158abe3ee51114d4272edf87fc62b8bf.png

Thanks Solver,
What confuses me is that this needs to span multiple floors. But maybe it makes no difference.
Looks like from your example,
you have one floor house
you probably sketched three walls attached to one side of house
maybe you defined it as porch thus creating a concrete patio
my guess is you simply deleted the left and right sides leaving only the front wall
then on the front you sketched a polyline thingy and used that to make hole in wall that cut away all but the top arched section
Am I close?

52 minutes ago, solver said:

Multiple ways. Just think about the tools you have available.

ct1.thumb.png.158abe3ee51114d4272edf87fc62b8bf.png

was doing well until after I drew polyline. Is there a way to cut away wall using a polyline. Here I did material region but don't think it will cut all way through wall.

Untitled-1.jpg

1 hour ago, ACADuser said:

I used poly solids, columns, 3rd floor room divider walls with open below set.

CA Porch.JPG

I would like to do it like you did. I went to third floor, created room divider(open below type)...but there are no walls in 3D view like you have on third floor. Of course I see them in plan view. All layers are on. I don't get how you specified the height of your third floor walls. If I could actually see the walls I assume they go entire height of third floor then I need to use polyline to cut away. Can you send me this file so I could see why your walls show but mine do not? Thx

Untitled-1.jpg

Rocky, I realize that you asked for technical information and I am stepping way out of line here. Feel free to flame me, cancel me or edit me out of people who you see posts from.

Please do not do this (meaning that entry portico. This is really, really far out of scale and proportion for a residential setting. Get a copy of Get Your House Right to use as a guide when making these sort of decisions. Or, hire a good(or even great) designer to help you with this project.

https://www.google.com/books/edition/Get_Your_House_Right/lovAS1e2pWMC?hl=en&gbpv=1&printsec=frontcover

2 minutes ago, Gawdzira said:

Rocky, I realize that you asked for technical information and I am stepping way out of line here. Feel free to flame me, cancel me or edit me out of people who you see posts from.

Please do not do this (meaning that entry portico. This is really, really far out of scale and proportion for a residential setting. Get a copy of Get Your House Right to use as a guide when making these sort of decisions. Or, hire a good(or even great) designer to help you with this project.

https://www.google.com/books/edition/Get_Your_House_Right/lovAS1e2pWMC?hl=en&gbpv=1&printsec=frontcover

Thanks for that but I am only doing 3D representation of what an architect has drawn for a customer.  I have no say in the design. :)

This is the only way I've found that is the least clunky. 
I extended the existing 3rd floor external walls to make box for entry (open below). The top of the box is at the 3rd floor ceiling height...good...but the bottom of the box goes to floor of the 3rd floor. Now, I have to pull up the walls on all three sides. The do some kind of cut away to get arch.

I wish CA had a way of using sketching planes so one could specify the height at which they do sketch, like in 3D modelers. Maybe a 3D modeling mode users could enter from CA mode. In that case I could specify a sketch plane at particular height off floor, extrude to top of 3rd floor, do boolean cut for arch and bam, I'm done. Of course, yes, it would be a trade off since you would not have all wall functionality of CA mode but that would be for user to decide.

Untitled-1.jpg

Wall heights are automatically controlled by your ceiling heights.  Why don’t you try; floor 1 to the bottom of your upper arch then your 2nd floor the height of those walls.  Open to below.  1st floor as a porch with open railing or invisible and place your columns manually...

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1