Considering Chief Architect

ragetoca

I have used CA since v6, I used ACAD , solidworks, Atuodesk mechanical and a few others prior to that.

I find CA will do 98% of what i want to do, Then I go back to  other programmes .

I do not expect any professional to have only 1 tool in the tool box. have you seen a builder try to build a house with a single tool??

For the first few years I used to model in CA then do con docs in ACAD as I had full control over every line, then about X2 I realised thaat CA was able to achieve most of what was needed at the time.

Con docs have improved over the last few releases.

They don't care nor do they want to pay to see where outlet switches, sprinkler bubblers or trash cans will be locate

The solution is simple

don't use these features :)

Lew

You are correct.....but, I'm still paying for the SSA, which, for the first time I'm starting to wonder if it's worth it for me. It seems most of the development is towards rendering. That's fine, as this is a rendering program. Bottom line is, as I originally mentioned, for me, it's actually taking longer to draw a plan than it  used to, and it almost seems like I am learning a new program with the new releases. I know I couldn't work without CA though. Wish it had a "basic" mode.

Not to be dis-respectful, but if you can't turn out a complete set of plans in one 8 hour day (typ 1800 sqft ranch) then you are not utilizing the full capabilities of the program. If it is taking you longer now than it use to, then you are missing the boat! You need to invest some time into your template plan so that when you open a new project, everything is already done for you.

My template plan already knows where I want everything to go...layers, anno sets, cabinets, schedules, etc....I open that plan and go! You send me a sketch of that typ 1800 dqft ranch, and I send you back a set of plans by the end of the day. Plans, elevations, framing, and details. 

Not to be dis-respectful, but if you can't turn out a complete set of plans in one 8 hour day (typ 1800 sqft ranch) then you are not utilizing the full capabilities of the program. If it is taking you longer now than it use to, then you are missing the boat! You need to invest some time into your template plan so that when you open a new project, everything is already done for you.

My template plan already knows where I want everything to go...layers, anno sets, cabinets, schedules, etc....I open that plan and go! You send me a sketch of that typ 1800 dqft ranch, and I send you back a set of plans by the end of the day. Plans, elevations, framing, and details. 

You are correct....I do need to spend some time learning more about the new versions.  I do have templates for basic homes. It's the ones with different roof pitches and styles, different floor levels and ceiling heights, different wall thicknesses, etc.. that give me problems. Still, in California, with the engineering, sprinklers, plumbing, HVAC, specific details, tons of notes and the energy calculations, I can't turn out a complete set of plans for any size house in 8 hours.