Changing cabinets using defaults

Elliot

I am trying to change all the cabinets in a plan after I have it finished.  The doors style was a flat panel and then my client decided to do a shaker full overlay.  I can do them one at a time. Or I can change the default cabinet settings and apply them one at a time to each cabinet. But I  remember watching a video where he was able to make a change on one cabinet and then apply it with a click to all the rest of the cabinets in the plan. But I cannot find that video or figure it out.   The material painter doesn't change the door styles , just colors and finishes. etc. 

Also in another video it showed how you can make a change to one cabinet and then click on the icon on the bottom bar to make it the default. But that icon is not there in my X12.  Or am I missing something?  I know I can open the defaults and set it there but changing one cabinet and then saving it as my default seems so much quicker. But I cannot figure that out.  

thanks

Elliot Gesang

Gesang Remodelling

Graham Washington

x12 on Windows 10 

Thanks for the quick response.

It was the selecting all the cabinets that I was forgetting about. so easy. thanks

And I tried selecting another cabinet and the icon was there. No idea why it didn't show up when I selected the sink base of the vanity. But the drawer base worked. 

thanks again

15 hours ago, Elliot said:

Or I can change the default cabinet settings and apply them one at a time to each cabinet.

IF you did not change the default door/drawer AND didn't specify a different style in the face items then changing the default door drawer will automatically change them all-no need to change one at a time.

IF you some cabinets are not using the default then the suggestions given so far all work well, take your pick.

One other choice if some cabinets either by room or design have face items specified as a different style then I find the most efficient way to deal with that is to open a 3D perspective, go the library and select the new door/drawer style and drag it onto each cabinet. This works when style pallets don't though they are fabulous for changing the entire face of cabinets-make em and collect them.

Last thing to note-unless you are doing ALL drawers for a project it's not the best idea to make a drawer base the default since then every new cabinet you add will be a drawer base-OTOH face configuration is not a dynamic default so it won't change existing cabinets.

Just to be clear, door and drawer styles are dynamic defaults.  This means that as long as your cabinets in your plan are set to "use default" you can change the style in the default and the cabinets already in the plan will be updated.

The box construction is not a dynamic default though.  If you want to change your cabinets from framed to frameless, or your door/drawer overlay from traditional (3/8" offset) to full overlay, you will need to modify every cabinet that is in the plan.  There are a variety of methods to do this including group select, match properties, style palette, replace from library, etc.  A very easy way to do this would be to do a marquee select while in full height cabinet mode to select all of the cabinets in the plan (base, wall, and full height) and change the box construction just once per floor.

• Upvote 1