Can a Roof Be Set To NOT Cut Walls Above?

HumbleChief

Well darn it... I thought I was going to have the answer for you!  A railing will show up...so I thought great, I'll make it an 8' tall 'solid' railing, but when I make it 'solid' style it disappears... I guess because Chief then see's it as a 'wall' and not a railing.  So I suppose you 'could' still make an 8' railing using a custom 'panel' or make it with 16" o.c. balusters using stud size material, then skin with material areas or p-solids, but probably the symbol is going to be the way to go.

A few ways, but here's one...

1. Drag the roof planes out of the way.
  2. Change your railing wall to a normal wall.
  3. Adjust your wall polylines in 3d by dragging the tops up a specific distance and then back down the same distance (this essentially leaves them unchanged but unchecks Default Wall Top Height and turns the automated wall shaping off. 
  4. Adjust your wall polylines in 3d by dragging the bottoms down a specific distance and then back up the same distance (this essentially leaves them unchanged but unchecks Default Wall Top Height and turns the automated wall shaping off.  You may optionally want to actually change the Wall bottom heights.
  5. Turn your railing wall back into a railing.
  6. Open those rooms and check Retain Floor/Ceiling Framing
  7. Drag your roof planes back into position.
  8. You'll probably have to either build or patch some of your floor system with p-solids, material regions, or similar.

7 hours ago, Alaskan_Son said:

A few ways, but here's one...

1. Drag the roof planes out of the way.
  2. Change your railing wall to a normal wall.
  3. Adjust your wall polylines in 3d by dragging the tops up a specific distance and then back down the same distance (this essentially leaves them unchanged but unchecks Default Wall Top Height and turns the automated wall shaping off. 
  4. Adjust your wall polylines in 3d by dragging the bottoms down a specific distance and then back up the same distance (this essentially leaves them unchanged but unchecks Default Wall Top Height and turns the automated wall shaping off.  You may optionally want to actually change the Wall bottom heights.
  5. Turn your railing wall back into a railing.
  6. Open those rooms and check Retain Floor/Ceiling Framing
  7. Drag your roof planes back into position.
  8. You'll probably have to either build or patch some of your floor system with p-solids, material regions, or similar.

NICE. Would NEVER have thought of this method. You're correct that the floor materials did not regenerate over the roof planes but it does look like a material region will cover those areas. Thank you for taking the time to help/reply.

Larry,

Yes, I deleted my post, so as not to confuse.

I was about to post it and then re-read the other posts and realised that my method was very similar to Michael's.

Instead of his method using retain Floor/ceiling Framing and dragging wall up and down, I use a Deck for the room definition.

turned of auto framing and checked Retain Deck Framing.

1 hour ago, glennw said:

Larry,

Yes, I deleted my post, so as not to confuse.

I was about to post it and then re-read the other posts and realised that my method was very similar to Michael's.

Instead of his method using retain Floor/ceiling Framing and dragging wall up and down, I use a Deck for the room definition.

turned of auto framing and checked Retain Deck Framing.

...and always appreciate your posts and wisdom.