Leica Disto X3 or X4

Bob_DeWitt_PE

I'm looking for a better way to input actual field measurements for doing as-built floor plans, locating doors, walls, windows, etc. I'm considering purchasing a Leica Disto X3 or X4.  Has anybody purchased a similar instrument for field input of distances? Troubles? Work Arounds?

Sincerely,

Bob DeWitt, PE

I had the X3 and worked just fine doing mostly interiors. I had been and still am input directly into CA via bluetooth without issue. (ran into a suggestion from Al Frey to take the numbers and enter manually from the device memory-will be trying that next time) I started to get more full houses where I needed to get exterior pitch and other dims. Sold the X3 and got the 7500i which Al suggested. It has a point-finder camera to see the dot long distance. The X4 also has a camera not sure the difference between it and the 7500i. I did have to get the firmware updated at the local Leica store since my phone wouldn't do it.

The only downside is learning what each function does and how they work.Basic straight measures are a breeze though I bring a tape for short ones and just in case :) I keep a print out of the full manual which has more than the little quick start guide that travels with  the device. I practice a bit the day before a measure, getting the hang of it. One of these days I may spring for their tripod and the simplest attachment, currently hacked onto a camera tripod I have.

Look over the functions available, double check for the ones that require an adapter (more $$) and get the most you can justify out of the gate. BTW saw the 7500i on sale somewhere recently as an option. Shop around prices vary.

On 8/26/2020 at 11:48 AM, Bob_DeWitt_PE said:

I'm looking for a better way to input actual field measurements for doing as-built floor plans, locating doors, walls, windows, etc. I'm considering purchasing a Leica Disto X3 or X4.  Has anybody purchased a similar instrument for field input of distances? Troubles? Work Arounds?

Sincerely,

Bob DeWitt, PE

Hello Bob!
Just following up; Did you make a purchase? Your decision and input could help others.
Thank You!