Creating two materials on one wall and filling wall gap between two floors.

rockyshepheard

49 minutes ago, solver said:

That's what I'm thinking, except for the non aligned part.

ct1.thumb.png.6990464b52b66e0008b8354f5d6959be.png

Interesting. What does this look like in plan view?  I am not good enough at CA to take a drawing where the two floors are aligned an offset them to obtain this effect. I assume these two floors are not aligned, yes?

49 minutes ago, rgardner said:

Set the first floor wall to the exact same as the lower section of your upper wall and unless you have set your foundation to offset it should all line up.

Would you be so kind as to provide a 2D plan exemplifying what you say?

Thanks

1 hour ago, solver said:

Try it yourself.

Start a new plan. Set your exterior wall defaults to Brick-4 (or Brick-6).

Draw 1st floor. Build 2nd floor -- just take all the defaults.

Select 2nd floor walls and make pony walls.

Yes, I did that. Here is result.

Untitled-1.jpg

11 minutes ago, rockyshepheard said:

Yes, I did that. Here is result.

Untitled-1.jpg

Are they the same wall types and lined up?  Did you try it with chief’s oob template?  If they are lined up and the same wall types then you have an issue with your wall definitions.  They should line up perfect.

21 minutes ago, rockyshepheard said:

How could they line up perfectly? The very definition of a pony wall is that it sticks out a certain distance. I absolutely must be missing something here. :)

A pony wall in Chief lingo is the lower portion of the wall and has no bearing on the fact it sticks out or not.  A common tactic in PNW is to use lap siding on the lower half and 1/4” hardi with battens for a board and bat above.  Wall is framed as one wall but in Chief you would model it using a pony wall and setting it to lap-6 and the upper as board/bat 6 ( as an example only).  

now in typical Chief fashion there are many ways to do it including using the yellow wall for both lined up and using a wall material region to place the brick on that area.  Either way just as when it is built the walls would bear directly one over the other.  The rest including usually the sheathing is going to be on the exterior layer of the wall definition.

2 minutes ago, solver said:

That is completely wrong.

A Pony Wall, sometimes called a split wall, is a wall with two separate wall types, one above the other.

The upper and lower walls may be the same, or different, and you may specify how they are aligned.

That is bizarre. They are NEVER aligned when I make them. That's why I use them.

1 minute ago, rockyshepheard said:

That is bizarre. They are NEVER aligned when I make them. That's why I use them.

That would either be a wall definition issue or the fact that you have something other than align on outer main layer selected to offset them.

1 minute ago, rockyshepheard said:

I am aware of the stone and the yellow wall type. But aside from that, how did you do it?

So Michael Erick and I have all told you to change that lower wall the same as what you are setting the pony wall on your second level.  That is how it is done but your video shows you not doing that step.

1 minute ago, rgardner said:

So Michael Erick and I have all told you to change that lower wall the same as what you are setting the pony wall on your second level.  That is how it is done but your video shows you not doing that step.

I will try that and show video.

3 minutes ago, rockyshepheard said:

I am aware of the stone and the yellow wall type. But aside from that, how did you do it?

I just made all the walls the same and used the eyedropper to paint the sections I want to be brick. Of course the bottom wall I didn't need to do the pony wall.
That was sort of cheating but it seem to have did the trick.
For the pony walls to work you have to get your materials and thickness right and you don't have that.

58 minutes ago, Alaskan_Son said:

rs.jpg

...the lower wall should NOT be a Pony Wall.

You are using the material eye dropper to choose the color of the upper wall.  Use the object painter instead or do it the right way and open the lower wall and change it to a brick 6 as Michael shows above as well as Erick did in his video.