Creating two materials on one wall and filling wall gap between two floors.

rockyshepheard

For the corner.

Select the pony wall.

Edit Wall Layer Intersections (edit toolbar)

Drag the wall grip so that it forms a 45deg joint between the 2 walls.

For the floor gap, 

Select the pony wall and open it's dbx.

Structure panel>Platform Intersections>Go Through Floor Below.

• Upvote 1

Is there a better alternative than a 45 degree corner, to color the edge of the non-pony wall?
Also, the actual pony wall fix worked but it has a visible gap between itself its wall. I don't recall this happening before with pony walls.
Thanks for helping.

yellow edge.jpg

gap.jpg

20 minutes ago, rockyshepheard said:

Is there a better alternative than a 45 degree corner, to color the edge of the non-pony wall?
Also, the actual pony wall fix worked but it has a visible gap between itself its wall. I don't recall this happening before with pony walls.
Thanks for helping.

yellow edge.jpg

gap.jpg

Using the same tool you can make it go around the corner to meet with the side wall.  Will work in both cases.

1 hour ago, rockyshepheard said:

Ryan,

I cannot find the tools mentioned. I selected the pony wall>wall specifications>layers...don't see anything about interesections. Am I in the correct location of maybe I have old version of software?
Thanks,

Rocky

7 hours ago, glennw said:

For the corner.

Select the pony wall.

Edit Wall Layer Intersections (edit toolbar)

Drag the wall grip so that it forms a 45deg joint between the 2 walls.

For the floor gap, 

Select the pony wall and open it's dbx.

Structure panel>Platform Intersections>Go Through Floor Below.

As Glenn mentioned select the wall (do not open) and use the “Edit wall layer intersections” tool that appears in the edit toolbar at the bottom.  Search help if you don’t know what that tool is or does.  It looks like an intersecting set of Blue walls or an L shape.

if you don’t want to see the mitered corner you can pull it around so it’s a square.  Other option would be to pull that whole wall 6-12” around the corner so it ends naturally.  

btw what he says about the spray can may be true in your case.

14 minutes ago, solver said:

I'll suggest you have wall definition problems, and overuse of the spray can to apply materials.

ct2.thumb.png.9b9ddfcbb0c837b59374595b5551b1d9.png

ct3.thumb.png.4dee21c4f08d0dbecdbf0d4177549f9b.png

2 minutes ago, rockyshepheard said:

Over use of spray can? Do you mean spraying once on wall x, then spraying once again on wall x? 
Thx

connect walls.jpg

No not the connect walls button.  Do you have the one wall selected?  Not both.  Just the wall you want to adjust the layers on. Maybe search the help files?

2 hours ago, solver said:

Why?

Why a pony wall? Why not a regular (non pony wall) wall?

Well, the design of the house calls for stone that dimensionally stands away from the wall a certain distance and has a cap. Plus it can be raised to any given height unlike  a wall, I assume.
Therefore my question about raising it to next floor. If I used a regular wall I'd have to "inset" the yellow wall offset from the regular wall.
Is dragging the only way to bring it up to the upper floor pony wall and if so, will the walls suddenly change at any given time based on some other seemingly unrelated modification?
Thanks!

1 minute ago, rockyshepheard said:

I think what Erick was saying is make your first floor wall just the masonry wall, make your second floor pony wall with lower wall as masonry, and the upper as the yellow wall.  Set your elevation you want and it will auto build it how you want.  Really discourage dragging walls as it will cause issues later.

2 minutes ago, rgardner said:

I think what Erick was saying is make your first floor wall just the masonry wall, make your second floor pony wall with lower wall as masonry, and the upper as the yellow wall.  Set your elevation you want and it will auto build it how you want.  Really discourage dragging walls as it will cause issues later.

I see, but if the first floor is masonry wall, won' the second floor with pony wall stick out (cantilever wise)over the masonry wall? The first and second floors should be continuous face with not inset or outset.

5 minutes ago, solver said:

And are you using X10?

X11. Imagine you have two floors and you want a pony wall to go from ground level to the middle of the second floor. Above that is non-pony wall.
If the walls in the plan view are aligned perfectly and you only put pony wall on second floor, you would have a pony wall sticking a few inches out over the first floor wall. The wall has to be smooth all the way up to the top of the pony wall.
If you're thinking"Well, just make your walls non aligned and put regular wall on first floor, I cannot because I'm following the 2D ACAD file the architect gave to me.
I hope you see my point.

37 minutes ago, rockyshepheard said:

I see, but if the first floor is masonry wall, won' the second floor with pony wall stick out (cantilever wise)over the masonry wall? The first and second floors should be continuous face with not inset or outset.

Set the first floor wall to the exact same as the lower section of your upper wall and unless you have set your foundation to offset it should all line up.