Wall to cover top half of stairs

cortssmith

Reshaped wall polyline, ceiling plane, and/or polyline solids.  Polyline solids for both the wall and ceiling are easiest but to get the stair railing to display correctly, you’ll probably need to use an actual wall.  There are a couple options there though as well...reshape the wall OR put the wall on a unique layer and turn that layer off in camera views.  Post the plan though and I just might make you a quick video this morning.  

1 minute ago, rgardner said:

Kind of a hog for time, but I have also used a straight wall and added in a shaped window pass through with all of the settings adjusted. no sill/frame/casing/etc.

That's a good idea, kind of a way to cheat it for a rendering. 

4 minutes ago, cortssmith said:

That's a good idea, kind of a way to cheat it for a rendering. 

It actually builds the wall right but you need to figure out your heights using cross sections and adjust the shape of the window top.  You can reframe the wall manually and it is correct.  It solves the issues with the drywall not finishing right from ceiling planes to wall transitions which are always a pain with those walls.

24 minutes ago, rgardner said:

It actually builds the wall right but you need to figure out your heights using cross sections and adjust the shape of the window top.  You can reframe the wall manually and it is correct.  It solves the issues with the drywall not finishing right from ceiling planes to wall transitions which are always a pain with those walls.

Key to get it lined up is cross sections and measuring how much to go up and down on each side.

23 minutes ago, cortssmith said:

I ended up doing that and it works just fine! Hard to get it lined up perfect but that's what I needed. Thank you!

Glad it helped out.

On 8/21/2020 at 10:33 AM, rgardner said:

Kind of a hog for time, but I have also used a straight wall and added in a shaped window pass through with all of the settings adjusted. no sill/frame/casing/etc.

Using this method I get this bit of wall in the doorway which I can't get rid of.  How did you work around that?

pass thru.JPG

4 minutes ago, DzinEye said:

Using this method I get this bit of wall in the doorway which I can't get rid of.  How did you work around that?

pass thru.JPG

I didn't look at the plan file.  Just offered something I have done with other plans with this scenario.  OP said it worked for him.  Maybe they can share? 

@cortssmith