Elevations and sections: foreground accented, rear in fog

GeneDavis

In a recent thread, Joey Martin showed a section view with the cut all done with heavier line weights, while back, the rest of the house is in fog.  Not really in fog, but lesser line weights and less black more gray.

He alluded to the technique being done using an annoset.

We've had other threads about this or something like this used to do elevations.

How do you go about achieving this?

I have used a simple polyline with background fill set to 10-20% transparency.  I do them all the time with interior wall elevations where I want to showcase say a shower detail but also allow the vanity to be seen for easy reference.

1 hour ago, GeneDavis said:

How can you get precision placement in stacked views?  Point to point won't work unless I'm doing it with dead views (not live), and I want the elevations to be live.

If you send it twice without moving the layout box and/or resizing them they should land in the same spot.  Then adjust the layout box how you want it and group select both to move them???

10 hours ago, joey_martin said:

I simply used the edit tool in layout and SHIFT SELECTED all the lines I wanted to be light and gray and changed them to that.

@joey_martin seems like a very simple method but isn't it somewhat tough and tedious to get the lines you want lighter selected when they are right next to lines you want to maintain as darker? Do you Marquis Select most of them and then Shift Select individually? Just curious about your method, would love to highlight this way as long as it isn't too much of a time suck.

I'd like to know the method, also.  Sure seems as if at some point, the view has to be converted to all CAD.  I cannot get line selection any other way.

An alternate way is to draw two plans, one of what you want to show in grey fog, the other the full remodel.  Superimpose two views, one done with gray plot lines, the other in stark black.

Just a marquis select process. Using CAD from VIEW is not a tool I use for sections and elevations. I can count on one hand how many times I have used that tool in the past 2 years, and those time would have been for a remodel/addition floor plan.

Hold down the shift key while dragging all the lines in. For the lines that are really close to other...if you look close I probably didn't bother with those. 

• Upvote 2

9 hours ago, GeneDavis said:

Sure seems as if at some point, the view has to be converted to all CAD.  I cannot get line selection any other way. 

You need to send as Plot Lines.  You made this comment earlier in the thread or else I would have mentioned it before...

On 8/20/2020 at 4:48 AM, GeneDavis said:

How can you get precision placement in stacked views?  Point to point won't work unless I'm doing it with dead views (not live), and I want the elevations to be live.

The fact is that you can also use Point To Point Move and get snaps if you are using Plot Lines.  You can even snap to various lines in order to reshape your stacked views.  I personally use Plot Lines almost exclusively, but they're not "Live" Views which is why I chose not to respond before now.  They can of course be updated, but then you lose your edits. 

One of the benefits of using a filled polyline like Ryan suggested (can be done either in plan or in layout by the way) is that the views can be updated without having to redo all your Edit Layout Line work. 

On 8/19/2020 at 8:48 PM, rgardner said:

I have used a simple polyline with background fill set to 10-20% transparency.  I do them all the time with interior wall elevations where I want to showcase say a shower detail but also allow the vanity to be seen for easy reference.

1 hour ago, Alaskan_Son said:

One of the benefits of using a filled polyline like Ryan suggested (can be done either in plan or in layout by the way) is that the views can be updated without having to redo all your Edit Layout Line work. 

@rgardner, @Alaskan_Son Ryan or Michael, can you give me a bit more detail on what you mean by using a filled polyline? I send my elevations as plot lines and dread making changes that override any editing work I have done. I would welcome more convenient ways to edit.

2 hours ago, solver said:

ct2.thumb.png.141bf57772b3061734e35df7d12d79e7.pngct1.thumb.png.727dab8f0ea810037b3c3bd20cecda74.png

Yup, just like Erick shows here you can just put a simple CAD Mask over it with a slightly transparent fill, white or whatever the background is setup as works best.  You can also use the "Line Style" tab in that same dialog box and change the line to an invisible line style and you won't see the box at all only the affects on it.  

7 minutes ago, rgardner said:

Yup, just like Erick shows here you can just put a simple CAD Mask over it with a slightly transparent fill, white or whatever the background is setup as works best.  You can also use the "Line Style" tab in that same dialog box and change the line to an invisible line style and you won't see the box at all only the affects on it.  

And you can also do the same thing in layout instead of in plan depending on what you're after.  Of particular value in layout is using solid fills (no transparency) to mask those pesky lines you have in certain views that you otherwise have to remember to delete every time your refresh the view. 

23 minutes ago, Alaskan_Son said:

And you can also do the same thing in layout instead of in plan depending on what you're after.  Of particular value in layout is using solid fills (no transparency) to mask those pesky lines you have in certain views that you otherwise have to remember to delete every time your refresh the view. 

Sorry I assumed Erick was showing this in layout as it is much easier to do it there.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, rgardner said:

Sorry I assumed Erick was showing this in layout as it is much easier to do it there.

You know, I think you’re right.  He was.  I guess my real point was that it can be done in either plan or layout and that there are benefits to each.  Done in layout for example it will also potentially “fog” your annotation items which could be bad.  Really just depends on the situation.  

• Like 1

I'd like someone to do a video of what Joey did.  He has a backclipped section of a "bump" on a house, the house in light gray beyond the section cut of the bump, and it was done without masking.  The section cut is in heavier lineweight and black.

And Joey says it is not a CAD detail from the view.

12 minutes ago, GeneDavis said:

And Joey says it is not a CAD detail from the view.

Read my post above.  Send as PLOT LINES.  Then follow Joey's directions using the EDIT LAYOUT LINES tool. 

P.S.  I personally think the masking is typically more efficient.