How to profile the tails on deck beams?

andr0id

2 minutes ago, DavidJPotter said:

He set up his rafter tail molding profile, built a rafter and then placed the custom rafter under the deck. One can also just create a custom polyline solid to emulate just the rafter tail and add that to the end of the deck framing manually.

DJP

Ah, so he replaced the beam with a rafter! I still have to learn all the ways to cheat in CA to get what I want!

I see that adding a poly tail though might get a more reliable materials list.

Thank you!

On 8/19/2020 at 10:59 AM, andr0id said:

Ah, so he replaced the beam with a rafter! I still have to learn all the ways to cheat in CA to get what I want!

I see that adding a poly tail though might get a more reliable materials list.

Thank you!

I don't believe P-Solids get added to material lists or Schedules but have the advantage of being able to be added to the Library for future use , unlike Framing Members , but if the ML is important then using framing eg a Rafter is the way to go and maybe why Eric used that method.

M.

8 hours ago, glennw said:

Mick,
I am pretty sure they get added to the ML as Exterior Trim.

Guess I need to do some testing then ....I've seen a number of posts in the past that said they didn't but I may have assumed not in a Schedule as to mean also not in the ML?.

Considering what P-Solids get used for , having them all in with the Exterior "Trim" probably isn't a good thing either though....

M.

16 hours ago, glennw said:

Mick,
I am pretty sure they get added to the ML as Exterior Trim.

That's where they get sent automatically, but you can click on the Components tab and Object Information tab and change whatever you want to get them to report to wherever you want.  Here I have a beach ball set to report to the Framing category as a treated 4x12 deck beam...

pic1.png

pic2.png