custom fabric imported but not transferring to object

goshgolly

I am trying to apply a custom Manuel Canovas fabric (see "fabric" image below) to the Wayfair Gismodine headboard (which I found in a CA Manufacturer Catalog).  I have successfully imported the fabric into my User Catalog library and know this aspect is working on some level as I've been able to apply it onto the Frame of the headboard (see "frame is good" image below).  The frame was originally listed as Black.  However, when I try to apply it to the headboard itself, it shows that the fabric has been correctly selected, but it doesn't actually register on the headboard (see "upholstery tab" image below).  It appears as though some part of it is registering, as the blue color is showing through, but the pattern isn't coming through as it does on the frame.

I opened my headboard object again where the Furniture Specification tab comes up.  I looked under the "Materials" tab and found that there is a "Detail" listed as "Silver" (see "detail tab" image). I wonder if this is the problem?  In other words, I wonder if the "Silver" is acting as an overlay to the fabric? At least, that's what it looks like it could be (see "upholstery tab" again). Or perhaps this is a detail that has to do with something like the color of the nailheads (which aren't visible) and therefore has nothing to do with whether or not the detail is listed? 

I've tried the following remedies:

1. When I click on "Detail: Silver" and then on "No Texture," nothing changes. 
  2. When I try to replace the "Silver," there's not an option to replace it with nothing. 
  3. The system won't allow me to delete that detail from the "Materials" list. Nor will it let me delete it from the "Plan Materials" list. I've tried multiple times.

I'm a relatively new user and I'm going crazy.  I've already spent about two hours trying to fix this thing by re-watching videos, re-reading instructions and starting over. 

This is an important thing for me to be able to control as I'm an interior designer and typically always customize my furniture selects. I've had had a similar problem to this in the past, but found a substitute I could use in the CA library for that instance.

I'm using CA Interiors X12 and a brand new Mac (see below for specific info).

Thanks for any and all suggestions.

Chief Architect Interiors X12

macOS Catalina version 10.15.3

iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2019)

3 GHz 6-core intel core i5

16 GB 2667 MHz DDR4

Radeon Pro 570X 4 GB

frame is good.png

fabric.png

fabric imported.png

detail tab.png

frame tab.png

upholstery tab.png

Nope. It messes with the scale of the fabric.

I tried it on another Wayfair headboard and it was the same problem.

I tried it on another non-upholsetered bed (frame was wood, I think) and it worked.  I tried it on another piece of furniture and it worked.

The symbol, if outside of CA drect libraries, has it's own UV mapping. Their is no established standard for UV mapping to be a part of the catalog hosting at CA. Which means the UV mapping of an individual symbol in a manufacturer catalog can be setup specific to the original UV map and not optimized for our custom mapping. You could pay a contractor to re-work the UV mapping for you if needed.

Wow!  Thanks so much @renerabbitt.  I would have never even known about UV mapping and would've racked my brain for several more hours.

THANK YOU so much for your response.  I've seen a few posts by y'all and you sure know your stuff.

6 hours ago, goshgolly said:

It appears as though some part of it is registering, as the blue color is showing through, but the pattern isn't coming through as it does on the frame.

Headboard on the left is The head board you used with material made from your posted image, 2nd is the same headboard with a copy of the material with global symbol mapping selected, 3rd is the same headboard with another copy of the material scale of the altered per attached, and the last one on the right is a second headboard from the same catalog (Gismondine Upholstered Panel Headboard 2) with the original material applied.

image.thumb.png.e83d553ad7f2b3f720e0c0eebd526f9f.png

image.thumb.png.b952097c30e679974e7eb1a849ab280a.png

• Like 1