Upgrade

winterdd

First started using chief in late 2018 with X11. I skipped the X12 update but plan on doing the upgrade in december of this year. Two questions, is there another edition being released by then and will I lose everything in my bonus library i have accumulated for two years? Thanks.

Rob:

if you upgrade to X12 then your SSA will be current for 1st qtr 2021

whenever your SSA is current you get that upgrade for free

if there is a good upgrade sale in Dec then consider using it

otherwise, you may wish to wait until April or May then upgrade to X13   (X14 would then be free)

but your fee for upgrade from X11 to X13 will be higher than going from X11 to X12

do the math and make a decision :)

by having your SSA due date in April or May that gives you a chance to review each upgrade

assuming released 1st qtr each time before having to renew your SSA again

Lew

So they charge more if you wait every other edition. I got it. I mean x12 has some cool new stuff i hear, like tray ceiling so i will probably go with that. What about the my library, will it be affected? Also, do you uninstall the x11 when upgrading to x12 to save space on your computer?

You library will remain intact. Honestly, simplify your life. If you do this professionally, the yearly SSA is a cost of doing business. I don't uninstall the last 2 versions in case there is some crazy reason to open an old file in that version. Since x11, I have not had any problems with opening old files so I don't even know if it is worth it to keep the old versions at this point (for me). Some people who work for other folks do keep the old versions so that they can offer to work in the older versions and maintain the old file for someone who does not have the current version.

So, to recap, Dude! just freaking upgrade.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Gawdzira said:

You library will remain intact. Honestly, simplify your life. If you do this professionally, the yearly SSA is a cost of doing business. I don't uninstall the last 2 versions in case there is some crazy reason to open an old file in that version. Since x11, I have not had any problems with opening old files so I don't even know if it is worth it to keep the old versions at this point (for me). Some people who work for other folks do keep the old versions so that they can offer to work in the older versions and maintain the old file for someone who does not have the current version.

So, to recap, Dude! just freaking upgrade.

Well put.  If you are using Chief as your tool of trade keep it sharp and upgrade to stay up to date. The ssa program is an inexpensive way to keep it up to date, have free access to the latest catalogs, as well as tech support.  It’s less than $45 a month for a tool that can make you tens or even hundreds of thousands every year.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, rgardner said:

Well put.  If you are using Chief as your tool of trade keep it sharp and upgrade to stay up to date. The ssa program is an inexpensive way to keep it up to date, have free access to the latest catalogs, as well as tech support.  It’s less than $45 a month for a tool that can make you tens or even hundreds of thousands every year.

Don't forget about 3D viewer models. I'm a design/builder and my homeowners LOVE that.

Makes SSA non-negotiable for me.

Cost of doing business i agree. If there arent that many changes in the program to make it better whats the point in my opinion. Just like autocad. You dont need to upgrade for every release. Nothing changes that much. However they rent their software now which has it cons but i need it to keep for certain drafts

16 minutes ago, ChiefUserBigRob said:

Cost of doing business i agree. If there arent that many changes in the program to make it better whats the point in my opinion. Just like autocad. You dont need to upgrade for every release. Nothing changes that much. However they rent their software now which has it cons but i need it to keep for certain drafts

The SSA advantages on its own are generally enough to justify it to me but add in the free upgrade to the newest version makes it a no brainer for me.  X12 to X11 I would estimate as a whole saves me at least 1 hour if not many more on every job due to just the small changes.  That really adds up to me over a years time.

9 minutes ago, rgardner said:

The SSA advantages on its own are generally enough to justify it to me but add in the free upgrade to the newest version makes it a no brained for me.  X12 to X11 I would estimate as a whole saves me at least 1 hour if not many more on every job due to just the small changes.  That really adds up to me over a years time.

i have been lucky since my ssa expired this past december. everytime i need to go to the chief 3d library the materials i need are free. i don't mind paying the $2.99 tho if need be. that's nothing. i will definately upgrade in december.

The next version, currently called X13, is scheduled to be released during the first half of 2021 (very similar to what we have done for the past several versions).  All of your libraries, toolbars, hotkeys, template plans, etc. should migrate forward pretty much automatically as long as you install X13 on the same machine as X12.  You can also migrate them manually if you install on another machine and we have a tech article to help you with this process if needed.

You might also be interested to know that there is a sale going on right now that includes 20% off on upgrades.  You should be able to upgrade from X11 to X12 for $556 instead of the $695 regular price.  If you upgrade now, you should also get a full year of SSA which will allow you to get X13 when it is released next year.  I have no idea how long the sale is going to last but you may not want to wait until December.

For more information about upgrades, you might want to check out this page:

https://www.chiefarchitect.com/products/upgrade.html

For more information about what is included with SSA, see this page:

https://www.chiefarchitect.com/products/ssa/

For the full list of what's new in X12, see this pdf:

https://cloud.chiefarchitect.com/1/pdf/marketing/x12-new-features.pdf

If you have more specific questions, I would encourage you to call or email our sales team during our normal business hours.

42 minutes ago, Dermot said:

The next version, currently called X13, is scheduled to be released during the first half of 2021 (very similar to what we have done for the past several versions).  All of your libraries, toolbars, hotkeys, template plans, etc. should migrate forward pretty much automatically as long as you install X13 on the same machine as X12.  You can also migrate them manually if you install on another machine and we have a tech article to help you with this process if needed.

You might also be interested to know that there is a sale going on right now that includes 20% off on upgrades.  You should be able to upgrade from X11 to X12 for $556 instead of the $695 regular price.  If you upgrade now, you should also get a full year of SSA which will allow you to get X13 when it is released next year.  I have no idea how long the sale is going to last but you may not want to wait until December.

For more information about upgrades, you might want to check out this page:

https://www.chiefarchitect.com/products/upgrade.html

For more information about what is included with SSA, see this page:

https://www.chiefarchitect.com/products/ssa/

For the full list of what's new in X12, see this pdf:

https://cloud.chiefarchitect.com/1/pdf/marketing/x12-new-features.pdf

If you have more specific questions, I would encourage you to call or email our sales team during our normal business hours.

@ChiefUserBigRob seems like a pretty good deal...