line weight

Breeze_Wood

1 hour ago, Breeze_Wood said:

was wondering what is the general line weight that is used and if it is not the same for everything - am thinking of making everything a line weight of 10 or 12 ...

Maybe I don't understand what you are wanting to do, but this would be a disaster for condocs. I don't use a large number of line weights, but I use a variety from 1 to 75 (1,10,14,18,25,35,50,75 pretty much). My main cross section and framing lines are usually 25 - I use this one on many things; plan views and sections. I also print to PDF using 300 dpi; I get better results in the layout conversion to PDF at that setting (personal preference as most things are). If I were to go to 600 dpi I would use a 35 instead of the 25 for an average.

in display sttings

1 hour ago, Ridge_Runner said:

Maybe I don't understand what you are wanting to do, but this would be a disaster for condocs. I don't use a large number of line weights, but I use a variety from 1 to 75 (1,10,14,18,25,35,50,75 pretty much). My main cross section and framing lines are usually 25 - I use this one on many things; plan views and sections. I also print to PDF using 300 dpi; I get better results in the layout conversion to PDF at that setting (personal preference as most things are). If I were to go to 600 dpi I would use a 35 instead of the 25 for an average.

thanks -

in display settings you can select all line weights to a single value - i'm thinking 10 or 12 - cross sections  I believe would be more uniform - also use view to cad for my elevations multiselect and use lineweight 12 for everything and am thinking that comes out too dark and have started using 10 ... not sure what a 35 or 75 would look like i know those would not work in cross sections ...

I think first, you need an understanding of how Chief came up with the numbers to begin with. Chiefs line weight numbers are base off old pen plotter sizes for the pens..ie...0.18. .35, etc. I think very few use those old pen plotter any longer, and the newer batch of architects and designers coming out of school have never even seen a pen plotter. So...

I came up with a system that makes more sense to me, and to those that I have worked with. I played with these settings until I found a combination that I liked...

image.thumb.png.e5b9125aef5f3d7c6752c952d57a2ee4.png

...so that 0 is my smallest line and 20 is my largest. I then went through all my layer sets and made the line weights what they needed to be. My floor plan(s) for example...

image.thumb.png.66946ca68ecabccec7c140ff60efbdc7.png

my outside wall later is a 10 and all inside walls and inside layer of outside walls are a 6. Hidden lines are a 3, counter tops a 6, etc...

Hope that helps.

14 hours ago, joey_martin said:

I think first, you need an understanding of how Chief came up with the numbers to begin with. Chiefs line weight numbers are base off old pen plotter sizes for the pens..ie...0.18. .35, etc. I think very few use those old pen plotter any longer, and the newer batch of architects and designers coming out of school have never even seen a pen plotter. So...

I came up with a system that makes more sense to me, and to those that I have worked with. I played with these settings until I found a combination that I liked...

...so that 0 is my smallest line and 20 is my largest. I then went through all my layer sets and made the line weights what they needed to be. My floor plan(s) for example...

my outside wall later is a 10 and all inside walls and inside layer of outside walls are a 6. Hidden lines are a 3, counter tops a 6, etc...

Hope that helps.

yes thanks - your line weights between 0-20 is what I am thinking - i'm more for all line weights the same - 10 and fine tune if something needs it especially cross sections and view to cad .... i like view to cad elevations all one weight.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/15/2020 at 7:58 AM, joey_martin said:

Using the same lineweight for elevations makes them hard to read the edge lines. And you don't need the view to cad tool for elevation and sections to control the lineweight, you can use an anno set with a layer set for those views that control them.

image.thumb.png.6556195c97c934cd3585ba82e4e4f548.png

image.thumb.png.cc6fc7d15e6c67e0a14f0ffe0b5c32a5.png

Really nice stuff Joey! I'm trying to find the layer that controls my elevation hatch lines. They are too light/thin. I tried the Walls, Hatching and Walls, Normal but that does not change in the elevations. Anyone want to guide me to the right layer, please?

And sorry Joey about getting on your case when I first got into Chief. You were right about letting ADT go. I have been drawing a number of houses now on Chief and when I need to go back to ADT for a condo project, I get all confused and actually like Chief better - in a lot of ways! 

15 minutes ago, solver said:

I would think you would be looking at these things in layout, but you can increase line weight like this in plan for your siding.

And Chief calls this Patterns -- saying hatch lines, is for me at least, confusing.

ct1.thumb.png.f73ab290f5b1fcd36b75c1f6ba9b5a63.png

Thank you Eric! I am still learning the lingo. I was in that DBX but did not see the line weight. I will give that a try

I like to use a line weight of 1 for my patterns; gives them a subtle presence so they don't overwhelm the edge lines. Most of my edge lines are usually 25-40. Your attached elevations above look fine to me...more like what I would normally do. So, is my normal...normal? Probably not; not sure there is one among users since we are all individuals.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ridge_Runner said:

I like to use a line weight of 1 for my patterns; gives them a subtle presence so they don't overwhelm the edge lines. Most of my edge lines are usually 25-40. Your attached elevations above look fine to me...more like what I would normally do. So, is my normal...normal? Probably not; not sure there is one among users since we are all individuals.

I will most likely leave them as all the patterns (textures) are already set to 0 - So whenever I would change siding I would need to mess with this. I think I was just use to them being darker and more uniform, so I think I just give it time to grow on me. 

2 hours ago, stevenyhof said:

I think I was just use to them being darker and more uniform

I do set things like windows and doors, in the elevation layer set, to something like 25; same way with railings. Makes them stand out from the pattern lines. I also set the roof planes to 40 in the elevation layer set as well as the corner boards and the foundation walls - I like the outline of the building and main features to really stand out.

• Like 1

What Joey is referring to is the settings for Use Edge Line Defaults and Use Pattern Line Defaults.  I personally leave Use Edge Line Defaults unchecked (so my edge lines are all controlled by layer) but I check Use Pattern Line Defaults for most views.  This allows us to control all the pattern lines as a group for any given view.  This way I can set my siding and shingle lines to a thin gray line style for all my elevations, to a black line style for zoomed in details and I’m still able to use the material definition for any colorized vector views.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Alaskan_Son said:

What Joey is referring to is the settings for Use Edge Line Defaults and Use Pattern Line Defaults.  I personally leave Use Edge Line Defaults unchecked (so my edge lines are all controlled by layer) but I check Use Pattern Line Defaults for most views.  This allows us to control all the pattern lines as a group for any given view.  This way I can set my siding and shingle lines to a thin gray line style for all my elevations, to a black line style for zoomed in details and I’m still able to use the material definition for any colorized vector views.  

I just seen that when I was messing in layout. So when you send a view to layout, check the box for Pattern, and then you can control it? In layout, the option was there to change the Pattern line size, but changing it did nothing. But maybe I am supposed to send the view to layout checked and that offers what I may need. I will try that. Thank you!