Proper Header over Arched Door

robdyck

Just edit the framing to what you want.  Make the framers jigsaw some lumber if you want to have a laugh.

It is not uncommon to see bandsawn fill members nailed into an otherwise rectilinear and properly headed opening, so as to get the required backing for finish, and nailing flange bearings.  But you know that.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, DzinEye said:

That looks just swell! 
Never noticed either.  Also that doesn't look like a 9.5" deep header per your dbx.
Frame with a non-arched door then change to arch and don't rebuild framing... Grrr?

I'll just edit the framing. This plan is part of my garage plans for which I develop wall framing details and materials lists...because they are so simple and there's no way Chief can screw them up!!!!! 

Interestingly enough, it seems you can't reshape the cut end of a header. Gotta use a general framing member for the header so that the fn tools work. Unreal. Takes longer to cut a header in Chief than it does on a jobsite!

3 minutes ago, Ridge_Runner said:

Good chuckle for me this morning. Thanks.:)

Yup. Hilarious. LMAO over here too. And because it's a 3.5" LVL, I'm gonna need to use my big saw to get through that piece on my monitor! I may just haul out the chainsaw for this one. Yup, the chainsaw will be the easiest way to finish the cut. The circular saw would be stopped my desk! Too awkward...and that would just tick me off.

2 hours ago, robdyck said:

How do you get Chief to automatically build a proper, straight header across an arched door?

This only happens when the resulting available space for your header is less than the header you have specified.  To get the desired header, either reduce the Header Depth, lower the top of the door, or reduce the Rough Opening Top and/or Bottom settings. 

• Upvote 3

3 minutes ago, Alaskan_Son said:

This only happens when the resulting available space for your header is less than the header you have specified.  To get the desired header, either reduce the Header Depth, lower the top of the door, or reduce the Rough Opening Top and/or bottom settings. 

Thanks Michael! If you'd been a bit quicker, I wouldn't have this mixed gas spill on my carpet!