Roof w/ Heavy Frieze/Shadow Board

kwhitt

I've been looking to solve this one for a while.  When I have heavy frieze/shadow board moldings, the eve ends of my roof are never correct unless they die into a return wall.  When they hang over a bit, it's a problem - see attached.  I have tried adding extra breaks and return the moldings beyond the return wall without any luck.  Lately, I've been removing the moldings and adding my own.  Is there a way to go about this without all the manual work?  Thanks.

The use of an invisible wall just occurred to me and will try that next, but thought I'd ask the experts.

If I pull the roof away from the wall a bit, it seems to work okay, but that has its own problems such as gaps in the wall - last image.

01.jpg

03.jpg

02.jpg

26 minutes ago, SNestor said:

@kwhitt - I just made a frieze similar to your and don't have the issue you have. I'd say you have something else happening...maybe it's the wall type issue where you have something extending from the foundation?

See attached...

2020-08-10_10-52-15.thumb.png.2b335f5cb61a9065aa2d435c0b667f32.png2020-08-10_10-49-47.thumb.png.22bf1e9e1a637a27fcf7f78eec7dbe47.png

Thanks Steve.  This problem still persists after correcting the foundation walls.  It's something I run into all the time when the roof slightly overhangs a return wall (into space).  When I have a full return like you do above, I have no problem.  I was wondering if there was a way to force Chief into submission in situations like this...  Kevin

4 hours ago, kwhitt said:

If I pull the roof away from the wall a bit, it seems to work okay, but that has its own problems such as gaps in the wall - last image.

Boy Oh boy... that was a challenge... 

This is the only solution I could come up with.  Break the roof plane right down at that overhanging corner and pull it into the stone veneer.  You might have to select 'No Special Snapping' in the roof DBX.   I first did it with that whole edge of the roof plane for which I did have to choose no special snapping... but limited it to that little corner and it still works.  May not be quite what you want, but better than the jumbled mess

Roof.JPG

• Upvote 1

By the way... I haven't tried it... but I have an inkling that this issue might also be resolved by putting the stone into the main layer like with the foundation solution.  My hunch is that there's some hiccup being caused by the thickness of the stone layer being outside of the main layer and how Chief handles connections of different elements at corners.

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, DzinEye said:

Boy Oh boy... that was a challenge... 

This is the only solution I could come up with.  Break the roof plane right down at that overhanging corner and pull it into the stone veneer.  You might have to select 'No Special Snapping' in the roof DBX.   I first did it with that whole edge of the roof plane for which I did have to choose no special snapping... but limited it to that little corner and it still works.  May not be quite what you want, but better than the jumbled mess

Roof.JPG

Thanks Mark.  I'll give this a go after my meetings today.  I appreciate you taking the time to look!  Kevin

@kwhitt - Kevin, somewhere in your plan there is a problem. I tried..but could not find it. Not sure why you would align the "roof baseline" over the face of the brick. Why not just keep the baseline aligned over the main wall layer and then adjust the fascia top height...or use the "raise/lower from ceiling height" to adjust the roof?

I've attached a plan I created using your plan footprint.  I didn't try to recreate your roof...I was more looking to see if I could recreate the overhang issue you are having. I created this plan using my template. Everything is created using "auto"...auto roof, auto foundation etc. 

As you can see...I don't have the overhang issue you have. KWhitt Plan Fix - Steve 20-0810b.plan

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, SNestor said:

@kwhitt - Kevin, somewhere in your plan there is a problem. I tried..but could not find it. Not sure why you would align the "roof baseline" over the face of the brick. Why not just keep the baseline aligned over the main wall layer and then adjust the fascia top height...or use the "raise/lower from ceiling height" to adjust the roof?

I've attached a plan I created using your plan footprint.  I didn't try to recreate your roof...I was more looking to see if I could recreate the overhang issue you are having. I created this plan using my template. Everything is created using "auto"...auto roof, auto foundation etc. 

As you can see...I don't have the overhang issue you have. KWhitt Plan Fix - Steve 20-0810b.plan

@DzinEye

Hi Steve - you're probably right about something being wrong with the plan.  I am not having this issue with other areas of the roof though - only this one overhang as there is no full return wall.  The reason I moved the roof baseline is that the architect specified the overhang from the exterior finish material.  Being that there are three such materials, I thought it would be easier to set my defaults to one common roof spec without having to calculate/change the overhang for each wall type.  This may have not been the best decision, but it's done now and building that roof was a challenge on its own.  I am going to be trying Mark's "hack" this evening.  If I can get this to work, I'm going to call it done.  I appreciate all the time you and the others have spent.  I'm amazed at how helpful the folks on this forum can be.  I hope with enough experience (and when work slows down) I am able to pass along the knowledge I'm gaining on a daily basis.  Chief Architect is truly fortunate that it has such a dedicated user base which is rarely the case with other software vendors.

7 hours ago, Mark3D said:

I would ask tech support on this one as I thing the program has hit a situation it can not handle

I think Kevins plans have an issue...something "stray". Something with the foundation or a stray invisible wall or attic wall...or something on a layer that is turned off. 

I don't believe it's a program problem. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Kevin,

I think you answered your own question in your first post.

Either make the roof overhang smaller or make the small step in the wall a bit larger.

You should probably do that anyway so that it can be built properly without a very small bit of the roof that would need to be sealed where it projects past the adjoining small wall.

Chief doesn't want to build it the way you have it drawn, and you probably shouldn't build it that way in real life.

Screen Shot 2020-08-13 at 6.29.44 pm.png

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Auto roof builds OK if you make the Segment angle At Curved Wall about 14 deg or more.

The auto roof on the left hand side of the curved wall needs to be fixed by selecting the curved wall and using the Make Arc Tangent tool to fix up the walls and build the roof over the bottom left corner.

On 8/13/2020 at 4:37 AM, glennw said:

Kevin,

I think you answered your own question in your first post.

Either make the roof overhang smaller or make the small step in the wall a bit larger.

You should probably do that anyway so that it can be built properly without a very small bit of the roof that would need to be sealed where it projects past the adjoining small wall.

Chief doesn't want to build it the way you have it drawn, and you probably shouldn't build it that way in real life.

Screen Shot 2020-08-13 at 6.29.44 pm.png

Thanks Glenn.  I appreciate the input.  Unfortunately, this is the wall offset that the architect specifies in his plans.  He may want to reconsider and make changes once he sees the roof overhang.

On 8/14/2020 at 3:46 AM, Mark3D said:

have a look at this file i fixed a few issues with curved walls auto built roof except front porch it is a manual roof also alter roof overhang and curve wall segment roof to 14 deg as Glen spotted and i think it looks a lot cleaner

CHF_Christian 117 Lakeview Drive_08-10-20_AS-BUILT Mark.plan

Mark -thanks for taking the time to make these corrections - much appreciated.  Sorry for the delay in responding.  We've had no power for a few days and although we have a generator, it does nothing for the internet.  I'll take a look at the file tonight now that I can download.  Kevin