Manually Drawing a Curved Roof

kwhitt

I've got to draw a curved roof manually.  When I try multiple copy using rotate/resize about current point, the array goes in the wrong direction.  Is there an easier way to do this?  Unfortunately, I saved the one curved roof for last and don't want to destroy the others that I've finished, so don't want to use auto-roof.  When I've tried, the results aren't what I want anyway.  Ideas? 

Also, I'm having an issue where the foundation walls are ballooning up into my first and second floors at the corners - see images attached.  The 1st floor walls are a different thickness than the 2nd floor broken by a wall cap.  The foundation walls are also thicker than the 1st floor walls.  Is there a setting I can use to prevent this?  There's a mess at every outside corner.

Thanks, Kevin

01.jpg

02.jpg

03.jpg

04.jpg

2 minutes ago, solver said:

What do you want? What's wrong with what the auto builder builds?

You can auto build, copy the roof planes you want, Undo, Paste/Hold Position to put the copied roof planes back.

First of all, I want the roof baseline to be on the exterior of the finished siding material - not the framing layer.  Is there a way to do this with auto-roof?  Secondly, the roof segments aren't positioned the way I want them around the origin although I realize I can group select and rotate them as needed.

2 minutes ago, solver said:

Make the siding part of the main layer.

Guessing you want them around the radius origin you have marked?

I'd suggest mirroring the half circle to get a full circle if creating circular rooms in Chief was not such a pain.

Thanks Eric.  I will take your suggestion on making the siding part of the main layer and auto-build.  Can you explain why the roof won't rotate around the marked point?  Also, any idea why my lower walls are telegraphing up to the roof?

17 minutes ago, solver said:

The exterior face of the foundation walls are outside the face of the wall above.

ct1.thumb.png.5044d352c6eba820ce48eee92df2935a.png

Which is exactly what I stated in my original post and how the architect wants it.  Is this type of construction possible in Chief?

Just now, DzinEye said:

Maybe you've already figured it out... but if not, another easy way is to make a copy of your plan, auto-rebuild the roofs, copy the curved part, paste hold-position into your original plan.

Thanks Mark.  Yes, that's what Eric suggested above and is probably what I'll do.  Any idea on how to prevent the lower level walls from reaching the roof?  I am stuck with the offset foundation and 1st floor walls...

52 minutes ago, solver said:

I was not aware that you could do that. Tried it with roof planes and it doesn't seem to work.

I was confused -- read that the walls were thicker and didn't understand they extended outside the plane of the walls above.

What's your goal? If you want a model that looks correct, use a molding polyline for the stone on the foundation.

Watch on YouTube: http://youtu.be/rfjwOVT7CWo?hd=1

Thank you Eric.  This will have to do.  I was hoping Chief had a setting like "Stops at Floor Platform" or "Ignore Roof".  I have found some success manually pulling the walls down to the foundation level, but not sure how long that will stick.  This still messes with the roof, but when I double click on one of the roof planes, it straightens itself out.   

I didn’t really read through this thread in great detail, but just FYI, roof planes don’t respect rotate/resize about current point as one might expect when manually rotating (using the rotate handle).  It’s been a problem for quite some time.  As with a handful of other operations in Chief, try GROUP selecting your object first to get more expected results.   

3 hours ago, kwhitt said:

Can you explain why the roof won't rotate around the marked point?

The roof will Revolve around the Current point which is located down below the plan.

That point in the centre of the circle is not the current point.

Use Delete Temporary Points and then place a "Place Point" in the centre and it will become the Current Point.

You also do not need to check Move in the Transform/Replicate dbx.  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, kwhitt said:

Any idea on how to prevent the lower level walls from reaching the roof?  I am stuck with the offset foundation and 1st floor walls...

Kevin, 
Not sure why this worked, but I fixed it by changing your foundation wall definition.   Put ALL your foundation layers (stone and air gap) onto the MAIN layer with the conc. blocks.

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, glennw said:

The roof will Revolve around the Current point which is located down below the plan.

That point in the centre of the circle is not the current point.

Use Delete Temporary Points and then place a "Place Point" in the centre and it will become the Current Point.

You also do not need to check Move in the Transform/Replicate dbx.  

Thanks Glenn.  I could only find one point in the plan I posted.  Anyway, I cleared all and started again.  It still won't work with multiple copy.  As Eric demonstrated, transform/replicate works fine.

5 hours ago, DzinEye said:

Kevin, 
Not sure why this worked, but I fixed it by changing your foundation wall definition.   Put ALL your foundation layers (stone and air gap) onto the MAIN layer with the conc. blocks.

Mark - that's brilliant.  It does indeed work and fixes all the problems with my roof.  I appreciate you looking at the file.  Thanks, Kevin

12 minutes ago, glennw said:

I would not expect it to work with Multiple Copy.

Multiple Copy does not have the necessary settings to copy and rotate. 

Glenn - evidently it does.  It just rotates in the wrong direction.  Here's the training video that put me onto this technique:  https://www.chiefarchitect.com/videos/watch/302/multiple-copy.html.

31 minutes ago, kwhitt said:

I could only find one point in the plan I posted.

OK, I figured out what happened.

In trying to select your small roof sections, I selected another roof by mistake and then selected the correct small roof section.

This auto places a temporary point where the 2 roofs meet. This is then the Current Point.

Lesson - deselect the incorrect roof before selecting the correct roof. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, glennw said:

I see the Multiple Copy tool technique - I forgot about that one.

It certainly has some problems when used with roof planes.

I've been using transform/replicate with good results.  Thanks for the input.

4 hours ago, kwhitt said:

I could only find one point in the plan I posted.  Anyway, I cleared all and started again.  It still won't work with multiple copy. 

4 hours ago, glennw said:

I see the Multiple Copy tool technique - I forgot about that one.

It certainly has some problems when used with roof planes.

Read my last post above...

14 hours ago, Alaskan_Son said:

I didn’t really read through this thread in great detail, but just FYI, roof planes don’t respect rotate/resize about current point as one might expect when manually rotating (using the rotate handle).  It’s been a problem for quite some time.  As with a handful of other operations in Chief, try GROUP selecting your object first to get more expected results.   

16 hours ago, kwhitt said:

Which is exactly what I stated in my original post and how the architect wants it.  Is this type of construction possible in Chief?

Kevin...

I took a different approach to defining the wall/foundation. You can review the attached plan. 

For the main house wall I created a pony wall...in the definition of the lower section of the PW I designated that the brick ledge was 24" deep.  Chief will automatically drop the veneer down on the face of the foundation wall. 

For the foundation wall...I created a main layer that was 6.5" and another exterior layer that is 5.5"...total 12".  Yea...it's not exactly like your architect wants...but, it works for Chief...a compromise.  You could always use the "auto detail" to kind of amend the detail to exactly what you want without Chief wanting to extend the face of the foundation wall up to the roof. 

Here are some pics...and plan is attached for review.  KWhitt - Custom Wall type and Foundation Plan 20-0810.zip

2020-08-10_10-27-39.thumb.png.8cffe6e76dfc397dc42e983144c7668c.png2020-08-10_10-26-53.thumb.png.549831ce9089dc49dab7540219d52e67.png2020-08-10_10-23-54.thumb.png.60fcc27a53ed443d47cbe484eec2d26a.png2020-08-10_10-13-46.thumb.png.59a0acf280afa4fce27b538c642b3eb2.png

1 hour ago, Alaskan_Son said:

Read my last post above...

Thanks Michael.  Do you mean by way of marquee selection or shift-clicking?  I couldn't find anything online about that.

52 minutes ago, SNestor said:

Kevin...

I took a different approach to defining the wall/foundation. You can review the attached plan. 

For the main house wall I created a pony wall...in the definition of the lower section of the PW I designated that the brick ledge was 24" deep.  Chief will automatically drop the veneer down on the face of the foundation wall. 

For the foundation wall...I created a main layer that was 6.5" and another exterior layer that is 5.5"...total 12".  Yea...it's not exactly like your architect wants...but, it works for Chief...a compromise.  You could always use the "auto detail" to kind of amend the detail to exactly what you want without Chief wanting to extend the face of the foundation wall up to the roof. 

Here are some pics...and plan is attached for review.  KWhitt - Custom Wall type and Foundation Plan 20-0810.zip

2020-08-10_10-27-39.thumb.png.8cffe6e76dfc397dc42e983144c7668c.png2020-08-10_10-26-53.thumb.png.549831ce9089dc49dab7540219d52e67.png2020-08-10_10-23-54.thumb.png.60fcc27a53ed443d47cbe484eec2d26a.png2020-08-10_10-13-46.thumb.png.59a0acf280afa4fce27b538c642b3eb2.png

@DzinEye

Thanks Steve.  That seems to work too.  The easiest solution without making major changes was to put all exterior layers of the wall into the main framing layer as per Mark's discovery.  That cleared up a whole host of problems with the roof too.