Material List not working or wrong

BrownTiger

Ok, I figured it out... Just because walls are rounded to 5 does not mean it is 5 sheets. The software considers them 4.75s

Thus the answer. I think CA needs to re-look at that. You could be really short on materials....

Lies.thumb.PNG.5241f800e6af42f03858974a73e744d7.PNG

Lies

this has been bought up before, old threads may still be around? but AFAIK Chief allows for full Sheets on each Wall ie it takes the full sq.ft of the wall and divides by 32, for 4x8 sheets, (default)  and then rounds up for the Sheet count, chief does not automatically place 10' or 12' long sheets where needed , you'd need to do that manually wall by wall. May be better to use square feet as the count as many Drywallers at least locally will rough Bid with that figure and then adjust once they measure the actual job.

PS. Your Walls are not 20' long per your own Calculation  as you have not subtracted the 2 wall thickness from your own calc. The room on the Interior is more like 19'x19'

M.

Just my $.02. 

The issue is not with the wallboard. Chief provides 4x12 and even 4.5x12, see below.

I doubt any designer is using material list. It is not working correctly. So should you get a model 100% correct if you can not get totals anyway? 

1) ChiefArchitect added Ruby macros ... very nice. I do not have a clue what get's passed to Ruby

2) I created a simple Ruby macro "return1"

that returns 1. Got an error,

3) Jenna Video of 2 years old is wrong

https://www.chiefarchitect.com/videos/watch/2438/using-formulas-in-materials-lists.html

She adds extra 110% - that will cause total to be: count + extra = 210%. No one appears to complained.

4) If CA wants to compute drywall as 4.75 per wall - fine show me that. 

DO not show 5+5+5+5 = 19

Even better let me round: count.ceil.

Wallboard.PNG.069c764a48311eec12a20b46eb10f1ce.PNG

I think you can do what you want in the material list.

I did this very quickly to see if it could be done, but it may help.

I have not done this before, so it's all on the fly.

Instead of calculating the wallboard as # of sheets, calculate it as area.

Generate a material list - you will get a square area for the wallboard.

In the Comment column, use a formula like "=count/your sheet area" - in this case I used 32 sq ft.

This will give you a result of the number of sheets.

You can also set the number formatting as required (units, decimal places, etc).

It is still pretty restricted as you can only use  sheet size per wall - which is really no different than the normal way of doing things.

Screen Shot 2020-08-10 at 10.26.18 am.png

2 hours ago, BrownTiger said:

The issue is not with the wallboard. Chief provides 4x12 and even 4.5x12, see below.

Yes it has always provided them in the Library for Use , but you would need to add them to the Wall Definition, for Chief to use them,

as by default Chief's standard Drywall material is a 4'x8' sheet.

* in the Video at 3:30, She Multiplies X 1.10 ( or 10%) She doesn't add 110%

M.

16 hours ago, BrownTiger said:

1) ChiefArchitect added Ruby macros ... very nice. I do not have a clue what get's passed to Ruby

For all intents and purposes, most people will be working with nothing more than the macros that get displayed when you click on the Insert Macro tool.  The list of available macros will vary depending on whether you have it set to Apply Formula To Line Item or Apply Formula To Source Object.

2) I created a simple Ruby macro "return1"

that returns 1. Got an error,

You're probably entering it incorrectly.  If you use the Insert Macro tool, you'll see that any macros inserted into a Material List or into the Components area need to be inserted like this...

=macros.return1

3) ...Video of 2 years old is wrong....No one appears to complained.

You are free to do so.  Send it in to tech support.  That's the only way these things get addressed.

1 hour ago, Alaskan_Son said:
18 hours ago, BrownTiger said:

3) ...Video of 2 years old is wrong....No one appears to complained.

You are free to do so.  Send it in to tech support.  That's the only way these things get addressed.

there is nothing wrong with it.....BT just read it wrong...

9 minutes ago, Kbird1 said:

there is nothing wrong with it.....BT just read it wrong...

I watched the snipet in the video and tend to agree that it probably wasn’t correct.  She essentially put 110% in the Extra Column.  Using the Default Formula in the Total Cost column ((count+extra)*price if I remember correctly), the price would be grossly inflated.  

7 minutes ago, Alaskan_Son said:

I watched the snipet in the video and tend to agree that it probably wasn’t correct.  She essentially put 110% in the Extra Column.  Using the Default Formula in the Total Cost column ((count+extra)*price if I remember correctly), the price would be grossly inflated.  

I see what you mean now .....it should of been Count/100*1.10 to get 10%                     Her Total is correct but that is WITH the Extra added, not the actual "Extra" only.

M.

14 minutes ago, Kbird1 said:

I see what you mean now .....it should of been Count/100*1.10 to get 10%                     Her Total is correct but that is WITH the Extra added, not the actual "Extra" only.

M.

I think it should have been =count*0.1, but it barely even matters in my opinion.   Whether you feel there was an error in the video or not, the video still served its purpose.  She showed the basics of how to use formulas.  Whether she entered the correct values is debatably irrelevant because she showed how to use the tools.  A person could for example relabel the Extra column “Including Waste” and simply use =extra*price in the Total Price column and the formula she used would be entirely appropriate.

11 minutes ago, Alaskan_Son said:

I think it should have been =count*0.1, but it barely even matters in my opinion.   Whether you feel there was an error in the video or not, the video still served its purpose.  She showed the basics of how to use formulas.  Whether she entered the correct values is debatably irrelevant because she showed how to use the tools.  A person could for example relabel the Extra column “Including Waste” and simply use =extra*price in the Total Price column and the formula she used would be entirely appropriate.

All true and I agree ... I wasn't arguing about that at all.

M.

On 8/9/2020 at 9:40 AM, BrownTiger said:

Ok, I figured it out... Just because walls are rounded to 5 does not mean it is 5 sheets. The software considers them 4.75s

Thus the answer. I think CA needs to re-look at that. You could be really short on materials....

Lies.thumb.PNG.5241f800e6af42f03858974a73e744d7.PNG

Lies

It rounds for each entry. Calculate the interior of your room...19*8*4 = 608/32 = 19.

But for each wall...19*8 = 152 / 32 = 4.75. And of course, we all know this would indeed take 20 sheets.

This is really only a problem with such even numbers on a simple example. It will work out correctly for a whole house almost all the time. And keep in mind that a waste factor should be added for pretty much every material column. In the example above, if the sub-categories of wallboard are not shown, and a waste factor of 5% is calculated, with the result set to round, the order amount will be 20 sheets. And indeed, 5% will be thrown in the garbage.

Anyone ordering exact amounts of material off of these materials lists deserves to learn their lessons in construction management the hard way! Take concrete footings as an example: Chief does not nor can it allow for:

• priming a pump
  • spillage
  • volume vs weight irregularities from the supplier
  • uneven excavation
  • etc.....

• 1 year later...

Hello There-

I know there is a correct way to ask questions in these forums so please forgive my rookie nature here.....I have reached out to Chief technical support and SCOURED the internet and can't seem to get an answer to what I am hoping is a simple question:

My materials list calculator feature only wants to calculate deck members for some reason....As if it can't even see the foundation, walls, framing, windows, or anything else that I have built.  Has anybody ran into this problem.  I am working with premier 12.  It appears as though all of the correct boxes are checked.  It's super mysterious.

Thanks

maximus

2 hours ago, 152431 said:

My materials list calculator feature only wants to calculate deck members for some reason....As if it can't even see the foundation, walls, framing, windows, or anything else that I have built.  Has anybody ran into this problem.  I am working with premier 12.  It appears as though all of the correct boxes are checked.  It's super mysterious.

i tried the materials list for the first time last month for a covered deck, and it included everything. I used a polyline to identify the area (as it was an addition), and then created the materials list from it.