How to Create a Unique Roof

shanecarman

Model it as a normal roof and then extend the roof planes down manually or use the wall DBX to increase the overhangs.  When you frame extend the valley beams to a manually drawn footing mount.  Post back with the plan file if you have issues.  You may even be able to get the original drawings if they built a bunch the same.

4 hours ago, shanecarman said:

Could someone provide any advice on how to build the roof in CA? 

I tried another approach , I built two identical sized buildings  44'x44' , here one with a 10:12 Gable Roof and the Other with a Gullwing Roof with 5:12 LP and 10:12 UP ,

seen in the back ground of pic 1, then copied the Roof planes off buildings 1&2 over onto a 3rd 44'x44' Building and joining them up manually,

once the Roof was done I reduced the size of the Building here to 30'x30' and lowered the roof planes about 3-4'  and added a Shed Roof out the Front.

image.thumb.png.0341982d4e87ffc8d54d1eb951251310.pngimage.thumb.png.19d5dfee46381d78abc74c49c0751367.pngimage.thumb.png.c5f62ea69c2b2ce1d5f6181c17501582.pngimage.thumb.png.77d6f1963535318b29f03b9137560ab0.png  

12 minutes ago, solver said:

Mick -- the valleys look straight to me. Wouldn't they show a bend if the pitch changed?

Looking closely I thought the Front entry showed a two pitch fascia line , subtle but there , my example was exaggerated to a half pitch ie 5:12 and 10:12 though.

But you could be right it's just what I thought I saw from a few subtle clues....

M.

28 minutes ago, Kbird1 said:

Looking closely I thought the Front entry showed a two pitch fascia line

I thought so as well at first but I think Eric is correct and it is just an illusion created by the slight return of the fascia in the overhang.

12 hours ago, Chopsaw said:

I thought so as well at first but I think Eric is correct and it is just an illusion created by the slight return of the fascia in the overhang.

You may well both be right , looks Like Shane was here this morning and didn't clarify though ...I assumed it was the Gullwing that was throwing him how to do in Chief.....

two pitch fascia-2.png

two pitch fascia.png

two pitch fascia-3.png

2 minutes ago, Kbird1 said:

You may well both be right , looks Like Shane was here this morning and didn't clarify though ...I assumed it was the Gullwing that was throwing him how to do in Chief.....

two pitch fascia-2.png

two pitch fascia.png

two pitch fascia-3.png

Hello.  Thanks for the replies.  I took the pictures from Streetview but have been to the location before in person.  I'm a little confused as to what the question is about in terms of valley's and pitch.  Sorry, I'm pretty clueless when it comes to roofs on CA.  Here is an interactive link in street view where you can move around to see the roof, if that helps. https://www.google.com/maps/@29.9199584,-81.4149445,3a,41.1y,195.67h,91.76t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sKrg_vObEZcSFVZLXjfu-nA!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

16 minutes ago, shanecarman said:

Hello.  Thanks for the replies.  I took the pictures from Streetview but have been to the location before in person.  I'm a little confused as to what the question is about in terms of valley's and pitch.  Sorry, I'm pretty clueless when it comes to roofs on CA.  Here is an interactive link in street view where you can move around to see the roof, if that helps. https://www.google.com/maps/@29.9199584,-81.4149445,3a,41.1y,195.67h,91.76t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sKrg_vObEZcSFVZLXjfu-nA!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

I thought it maybe a Gull Wing type of roof but as Eric and CS pointed out it likely isn't ......check the Reference Manual for how to build the basic types in CA , there are Tutorial in the KB too.

https://www.chiefarchitect.com/videos/watch/6127/gull-wing-roof.html?playlist=95

*** PS I call it a Gullwing - one word - Chief calls it a Gull Wing Roof , when searching the Manual or Website.

image.thumb.png.64f31e81f3eba13bd407c8edf33c1c9f.png

• Upvote 1

48 minutes ago, Kbird1 said:

I thought it maybe a Gull Wing type of roof but as Eric and CS pointed out it likely isn't ......check the Reference Manual for how to build the basic types in CA , there are Tutorial in the KB too.

https://www.chiefarchitect.com/videos/watch/6127/gull-wing-roof.html?playlist=95

*** PS I call it a Gullwing - one word - Chief calls it a Gull Wing Roof , when searching the Manual or Website.

image.thumb.png.64f31e81f3eba13bd407c8edf33c1c9f.png

Thank you.  I actually found more photos here as well. http://www.highwayhost.org/Florida/StAugustine/West/west1.html

1 hour ago, shanecarman said:

Thank you.  I actually found more photos here as well. http://www.highwayhost.org/Florida/StAugustine/West/west1.html

It appears what I thought was a slight angle Change and Hence the "Gullwing thought" is likely just the way the Gable Fascia Rake Concrete Tiles looks in some Views , pity they lost the "Roof Spire" in 2004.... 

I'd post the Plan of this one except you can't open it as I now see you are on X8 still....

image.thumb.png.6f769a817ab56a72ab9f4e104fb30150.png

3 minutes ago, Kbird1 said:

It appears what I thought was a slight angle Change and Hence the "Gullwing thought" is likely just the way the Gable Fascia Rake Concrete Tiles looks in some Views , pity they lost the "Roof Spire" in 2004.... 

I'd post the Plan of this one except you can't open it as I now see you are on X8 still....

image.thumb.png.6f769a817ab56a72ab9f4e104fb30150.png

Thank you for sharing.  I have X12, just couldn't figure out where to update the signature, but finally found it.  I'd really appreciate seeing the file.  Thank you.

17 minutes ago, shanecarman said:

Thank you for sharing.  I have X12, just couldn't figure out where to update the signature, but finally found it.  I'd really appreciate seeing the file.  Thank you.

Ahhhh..ok here you go......Gull Wing one too if you want to look at it.

Shanes- Gullwing Super8 Motel Roof.plan

Shanes- Dbl. Gable Super8 Motel Roof.plan

for this Dbl.Gable one here is my steps: 

1. Made 30' square building
  2. Set Room Ceiling Height
  3. Set all 4 walls to Gable
  4. Roof Build DBX > set Auto Build, 10:12 Pitch AND 7'ft Overhangs
  5. Use Transform Replicate to raise the 2 Roof planes of the East-West Ridge 2ft ( move> Z-Delta +24" )
  6. Joined Roof Planes back together
  7. Used Polyline Union to join the 2 separate parts of the East-West Roofs back into one plane ( delete original )

Hopefully I didn't miss a Step....

M.

3 minutes ago, Kbird1 said:

Ahhhh..ok here you go......Gull Wing one too if you want to look at it.

Shanes- Gullwing Super8 Motel Roof.plan

Shanes- Dbl. Gable Super8 Motel Roof.plan

for this Dbl.Gable one here is my steps: 

1. Made 30' square building
  2. Set Room Ceiling Height
  3. Set all 4 walls to Gable
  4. Roof Build DBX > set Auto Build, 10:12 Pitch AND 7'ft Overhangs
  5. Use Transform Replicate to raise the 2 Roof planes of the East-West Ridge 2ft ( move> Z-Delta +24" )
  6. Joined Roof Planes back together
  7. Used Polyline Union to join the 2 separate parts of the East-West Roofs back into one plane ( delete original )

Hopefully I didn't miss a Step....

M.

Thank you so much!