stevenyhof

I am working on making a craftsman style column, but I would like to control the base and the column/post separately.

In the Symbol DBX there are sizing options that seem like they should offer this option, and I've tried. But as soon as I add two Z options, the whole symbol stretches. See image.

It is working to keep the box cap from stretching, so that is nice, but not what I need. If I set up the top OR the bottom, it works perfectly for the top OR the bottom.

Thoughts?

Thank you!

columns.jpg

symbolsizing.jpg

3 minutes ago, stevenyhof said:

It is working to keep the box cap from stretching, so that is nice, but not what I need. If I set up the top OR the bottom, it works perfectly for the top OR the bottom.

You'd have to create a separate symbol for the column base and column top in order to do what you want.  There is no separate input for individual stretch planes of the same orientation.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, DzinEye said:

You'd have to create a separate symbol for the column base and column top in order to do what you want.  There is no separate input for individual stretch planes of the same orientation.

Very good. I was thinking of that, and that might actually be better and offer more options with bases and columns/posts. Thank you!

Just now, solver said:

If you make an Architectural Block, you can unblock, adjust size, then reblock.

ok - I have made 2D blocks, but not 3D blocks. I know it does not let me with this angled / tapered solid in there - I'm guessing.

Ok, so I have 2 symbols - E and F

Each were made into 3D blocks and then saved as a Symbol with Z sizing. Now I can adjust the base and the column separately. Thank you Mark!

I have some small indescrepencies... 

The base cap (A) is made with a counter and chamfer molding.

The base trim on the column (B) is a copy of the base.

However, the base cap is missing the horizontal line that shows up in the column molding trim. If I make an architectural block and save that to the library, it shows fine, but then I do not have the sizing offered by the symbol. When I make it into a symbol the horizontal line is missing.

Yet, the column molding trim, top and bottom (B), are each copies of the base cap (A), made into 3D blocks and then into a symbol for sizing.

And BTW, the sizing is amazing! Now I can make up a number of bases and columns to be used by themselves or stacked.

And, I saved the base at 0 to Floor, (and it is 38" high to the top of the cap) and then saved the column bottom at 38" to floor. So they stack up perfectly. 

So, any thoughts on the missing horizontal line on (A)?

Then on (C), It saves with the chamfer on two edges but not on the other two edges??

Then on (D), is there a way to dash some of the lines? Even though I made the line types dashed, they come out solid??

Thank you

col2.jpg

column post craftsman.plan

column base stone.plan

1 minute ago, solver said:

No real need to block before making a symbol, just select the various parts and convert to a symbol.

Adjust this value.

ct1.thumb.png.0e9716ad51e42edf0d02efd9ef68a181.png

Perfect! Thank you :) I'm getting good at making this stuff - been at it for about 6 hours straight!! Enjoy your weekend!

This is still driving me crazy. I want to create a symbol so I can use sizing.

If you look at the image, as soon as I create the solid into a symbol, I lose the 3D chamfers and all the lines in the 2D block. You can also see, I guess by "Number of Faces" and "Smoothing Angle" it smooths everything. I have tried every angles in the Smoothing Angle and it does nothing. I don't want a symbol that looks like a box, I want one that looks like what I drew. I also removed Fill, but that does nothing either.

I have spent many hours on solid polylines that did other things (see above added the molding lines), so I thought I should just learn the Primitive Tools - but I get other results that do not make sense to me. Why is it smoothing? I want it sharp like a drew.

I watched Steve (ChiefSkills) make a hood and it all worked perfectly! He Inserted it from the library and it looks just like he drew it. As I type this, I think this will be a good project to reach out to Steve with.

caps2.jpg

Ok, just to follow up on what I'm doing... for now.

I just made 3D blocks saved to the library. I am able to control the layers in 2D for the plan view.

I need to explode the blocks to stretch them, so hoping symbols are still an option.

At this point I think it not wise to spend too much time building my library until I learn more.

Any thoughts/help would be very appreciated.

3dblock only.jpg

3 hours ago, stevenyhof said:

This is still driving me crazy. I want to create a symbol so I can use sizing.

If you look at the image, as soon as I create the solid into a symbol, I lose the 3D chamfers and all the lines in the 2D block. You can also see, I guess by "Number of Faces" and "Smoothing Angle" it smooths everything. I have tried every angles in the Smoothing Angle and it does nothing. I don't want a symbol that looks like a box, I want one that looks like what I drew. I also removed Fill, but that does nothing either.

I have spent many hours on solid polylines that did other things (see above added the molding lines), so I thought I should just learn the Primitive Tools - but I get other results that do not make sense to me. Why is it smoothing? I want it sharp like a drew.

I watched Steve (ChiefSkills) make a hood and it all worked perfectly! He Inserted it from the library and it looks just like he drew it. As I type this, I think this will be a good project to reach out to Steve with.

caps2.jpg

Turn the smoothing angle way down.  Think of that setting like this...You're telling Chief not to draw edge lines when faces are this many degrees different from each other.  Turn it down to zero to see the most extreme end of the spectrum where all triangular faces get edge lines drawn, and then adjust it up from there. 

Also, on the 2D Block tab, check Auto if you want the 2D Block to automatically adjust to suit changes to the Smoothing Angle. Or, if you want a custom CAD Block to be used, select that one instead.  

1 hour ago, GeneDavis said:

You know the CAD block for a symbol is editable, right?  You can edit it to look like a BB gun or a guitar.  Whatever.  If it is missing a line, put a line there. If there are too many lines, erase the ones you don't like.

Wow! this sounds hopeful! Thank you Gene!

55 minutes ago, Alaskan_Son said:

Turn the smoothing angle way down.  Think of that setting like this...You're telling Chief not to draw edge lines when faces are this many degrees different from each other.  Turn it down to zero to see the most extreme end of the spectrum where are triangular faces get edge lines drawn, and then adjust it up from there. 

Also, on the 2D Block tab, check Auto if you want the 2D Block to automatically adjust to suit changes to the Smoothing Angle. Or, if you want a custom CAD Block to be used, select that one instead.  

Thank you Michael! I did not try 0. I tried 1. But if I can add lines and remove them, then I will try that also.

1 hour ago, Alaskan_Son said:

Turn the smoothing angle way down.  Think of that setting like this...You're telling Chief not to draw edge lines when faces are this many degrees different from each other.  Turn it down to zero to see the most extreme end of the spectrum where all triangular faces get edge lines drawn, and then adjust it up from there. 

Using 1 worked! I feel like I'm in charge again :) Thank you!!

I

2 hours ago, GeneDavis said:

You know the CAD block for a symbol is editable, right?  You can edit it to look like a BB gun or a guitar.  Whatever.  If it is missing a line, put a line there. If there are too many lines, erase the ones you don't like.

I'm still looking for ways to control the symbol/block for 2D plan view. Any further help/screen shots, please? I must be missing something.