Texture Keep Moving in X12

kwhitt

I've noticed that when I use the material adjustment tool that my textures will move.  I often divide my backsplashes into parts so that I can represent a bullnose piece at the end.  The first image is how it looks after much work with the material adjustment tool.  The second image is how it will appear after moving around in 3D space and coming back to this camera view. The third image shows what happens when I again use the material adjustment tool to offset an arbitrary distance horizontally.  The fourth image shows the result when I undo the last material adjustment.  It goes back to the proper place.  I have been texturing backsplashes this way since I started and never had any issue with X11.  This happens all the time and makes getting the texture location just right an impossibility.  Has anyone else noticed this?  Thanks, Kevin

PS - notice that the countertop texture has moved too even though I only adjusted the bullnose polyline solid.

03.jpg

02.jpg

01.jpg

00.jpg

You're not going to like this, but you need to have a different copy of each altered material each with it's own name.  Each time you alter the SAME material def. it's going to change everywhere else you have that same material.  

Well just read through that thread I linked above and my understanding of it is that all that happens when you use the 'un-check global symbol mapping' method and you do it correctly (which you'll need to see video from Eric and following comment from Mick... you find that all that's happened is that Chief has simply automatically made copies of the same material.. except they all will have the same name.  So my take-away is it's much better to create your own named copies so you at least have some idea of what's what.. assuming your naming scheme is helpful in that regard.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, DzinEye said:

You're not going to like this, but you need to have a different copy of each altered material each with it's own name.  Each time you alter the SAME material def. it's going to change everywhere else you have that same material.  

Mark - thanks for the reply.  These are all copies of the original material and I am also aware of the use of global mapping.  Something is definitely amiss here.  How can one explain that the counter pattern changes too without any adjustment to the material.  I swear I used this technique constantly in X11 and never had an issue.

4 minutes ago, DzinEye said:

Well just read through that thread I linked above and my understanding of it is that all that happens when you use the 'un-check global symbol mapping' method and you do it correctly (which you'll need to see video from Eric and following comment from Mick... you find that all that's happened is that Chief has simply automatically made copies of the same material.. except they all will have the same name.  So my take-away is it's much better to create your own named copies so you at least have some idea of what's what.. assuming your naming scheme is helpful in that regard.

Mark - thanks for the post.  I'll read that link in a few.  Kevin

1 minute ago, DzinEye said:

So you're sure the material on your bullnose is a completely separately named material from your backsplash material?

Absolutely positive.  I sometimes have 11 or 12 copies of a tile pattern when doing a shower.  The texture mapping is moving.  I've been noticing this since I first installed X12.  I'll see if I can prepare a sample file that illustrates the problem in a few hours and post.

28 minutes ago, SNestor said:

@kwhitt - you should post the plan or a sample plan. To quote Joe...”c’mon man”...:)

Hey Steve.  That's what I said I was going to do and here it is.  Go to full camera view "00".  Don't move the camera.  Simply double click on the piece of bullnose.  When the dialog box opens, hit "cancel" or "okay".  You might have to try it a few times with either "cancel" or "okay", but the texture will move.  Really bad day to be quoting Joe!  Thanks, Kevin

click me.jpg

I'll have to work on the file AGAIN. Hate this file size limit.  I spend more time purging files in order to upload.  I have it at 13mb, but now telling me the limit is 10mb.   Please stand by.  Don't know that I've seen this message before...

error.jpg

3 minutes ago, DzinEye said:

Seems to be missing some of the texture files... no bullnose showing

You're right.  Forgot about that.  I will export again, but will probably be over file size limit.  Thanks.

11 minutes ago, DzinEye said:

Anyway... FWIW... I'm using the Adjust Material tool on the bullnose and nothings changing on the backsplash.... 

Did you try as I instructed above by simply opening it by double-clicking and hitting "okay" or "cancel".  If so, what were your results?

Okay... although I'm not seeing any changes on the backsplash, I am getting some weird behavior with the bullnose.  If I use the Adjust Material tool and click on either the backsplash or the bullnose and then close the tool without changing anything the bullnose tile will change.  Hmmm.... 

@DzinEye

Are you saying you are unable to try as you can't load the texture?  If so, please advise me on the proper way to export the entire file with texture links in tact.  This is first time I've done and used "back up entire plan".

1 minute ago, kwhitt said:

Did you try as I instructed above by simply opening it by double-clicking and hitting "okay" or "cancel".  If so, what were your results?

The double clicking to open has had no effect (so far), but the Change Material tool certainly does... but you have to not change anything and say Okay.. if you Cancel nothing happens... and it's not consistent. Sometimes nothing happens.

2 minutes ago, DzinEye said:

Okay... although I'm not seeing any changes on the backsplash, I am getting some weird behavior with the bullnose.  If I use the Adjust Material tool and click on either the backsplash or the bullnose and then close the tool without changing anything the bullnose tile will change.  Hmmm.... 

Mark.  Yes, it's only the bullnose piece that keeps "jumping" around.  I have seen this behavior for quite a while now.  I do lots of custom showers and try to make the tiles center correctly as they'd be installed in reality.  I waste more time trying to get everything aligned just so only to have it move.  Thanks for taking a look.  Kevin

1 minute ago, DzinEye said:

The double clicking to open has had no effect (so far), but the Change Material tool certainly does... but you have to not change anything and say Okay.. if you Cancel nothing happens... and it's not consistent. Sometimes nothing happens.

You're right.  It's not something you can reproduce all the time - no consistency.  This has been giving me a fit for a while now.  Maybe I should send this to Chief.