Wall Materials changing and disappearing

SabGroup

All of the materials for my wall types are either disappearing or changing at random.

I have contacted customer support about this and they don't know what is causing this.

I have reinstalled chief architect. I am running the most recent version.

I can start with a CA template file and the wall types from the core catalog all maintain their materials.

The issue starts when I modify one of these wall types and save it to my user library. 

If I create a wall from my user library and open up the wall type definitions it shows similar to the picture I have attached. 

965992103_walltypedefinition.thumb.jpg.1130f4c0b11ecc28848172b40369acdd.jpg

This has become very time consuming for me as all of the materials have to be updated manually after a wall is created every time.

On a much smaller note, does anyone know how to have a wall type with different line weights that do no show these artifacts at intersections? I would like to have a heavier line weight for my exterior walls but I get the heavier line weight artifacts showing on the interior side of the wall.

812218562_lineweight.thumb.jpg.0e613b8e3930076255326e2a885433fd.jpg

34 minutes ago, SabGroup said:

The issue starts when I modify one of these wall types and save it to my user library

Draw a wall, use the Adjust Material Definition tool and Texture\Texture Source\ what does it show?

37 minutes ago, SabGroup said:

artifacts showing on the interior side of the wall

Suggest you move your heavier line weight off of the main layer and onto the exterior layers..personal preference

5 minutes ago, Renerabbitt said:

Draw a wall, use the Adjust Material Definition tool and Texture\Texture Source\ what does it show?

Suggest you move your heavier line weight off of the main layer and onto the exterior layers..personal preference

"C:\ProgramData\Chief Architect Premier X12\Referenced Files" is the source it shows for the textures.

Thanks. I will try moving the line weight to an exterior layer.

Not sure if this is the problem in your case or not, but one thing I've found that can trigger those corrupted Wall Types is if the Wall Type in your library is assigned to anything other than the Default layer.  I won't pretend to know why, but once a wall in the library has been assigned to ANY layer other than the default, it will become corrupted from that point forward, even after it is changed back to the default.  Try to see if you can create your wall type on the default layer, add that to your library, and see if that one consistently works in new plans.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Alaskan_Son said:

Not sure if this is the problem in your case or not, but one thing I've found that can trigger those corrupted Wall Types is if the Wall Type in your library is assigned to anything other than the Default layer.  I won't pretend to know why, but once a wall in the library has been assigned to ANY layer other than the default, it will become corrupted from that point forward, even after it is changed back to the default.  Try to see if you can create your wall type on the default layer, add that to your library, and see if that one consistently works in new plans.

Your knowledge has no bounds.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Alaskan_Son said:

I will watch out for this. I am starting with the wall types from the core catalog and only changing the thicknesses of the layers. I don't want OSB to have a thickness of 0.4375" and housewrap to have a thickness of 0.01". 

2 hours ago, SabGroup said:

812218562_lineweight.thumb.jpg.0e613b8e3930076255326e2a885433fd.jpg

You'll fight this forever. My suggestions would differ from Rene's. 

• Show Main Layer Only
  • Make all main layer weights the same (controlled by layer in the walls definition)
  • The only wall I give a heaver weight to is a concrete foundation wall.
  • Make your final decision by comparing a print to the pdf.

Did you check the layer your wall is assigned to like I mentioned?  Click on the Layer tab.  What Layer is it assigned to?  And was it EVER assigned to a different layer? 

Not sure how you're adding to your library, but no matter what, I would strongly suggest you start with a brand new wall.  Don't try to fix or reuse one that has already been corrupted.

EDIT:  I had originally suggested trying to copy and paste from the user library which I had found to work well for the OP's purposes during some quick troubleshooting, but after further testing, I was able to reproduce the issue as spelled out in the OP and found that the most stable method for the intended was instead to create wall type in the plan and then add to library.  Do not edit the wall type after it has been placed in library.

I can't recreate this issue in x11. Only x12. Not sure what else to try.

Chief support told me that I should wait for an update.

Just now, Alaskan_Son said:

Did you check the layer your wall is assigned to like I mentioned?  Click on the Layer tab.  What Layer is it assigned to?  And was it EVER assigned to a different layer? 

Not sure how you're adding to your library, but no matter what, I would strongly suggest you start with a brand new wall.  Don't try to fix or reuse one that has already been corrupted.  Easiest and most dependable thing IMO is to simply select one from the Core Catalog, Copy, Paste into your User Library, Open Object in the library, and edit to be what you want.  Now try dropping that into some plans.

Yes. At Chief support's instructions I renamed my template folder directory so Chief would reinstall the base template files in case those were corrupted.  

Starting with a fresh "residential template" I copy the "wall types" from the core catalog and pasted it into my user library. From the user library I will right-click on them and "open object" and only change the thicknesses of the layers. The problem appears when I reopen CA or open another file. If I select a wall type that I edited, it will show incorrect materials in the preview pane, and if I right-click to edit it again, the materials are completely random. The materials seemed to be changed even before I drop it into the plan.

12 minutes ago, SabGroup said:

I can't recreate this issue in x11. Only x12. Not sure what else to try.

Chief support told me that I should wait for an update.

Yes. At Chief support's instructions I renamed my template folder directory so Chief would reinstall the base template files in case those were corrupted.  

Starting with a fresh "residential template" I copy the "wall types" from the core catalog and pasted it into my user library. From the user library I will right-click on them and "open object" and only change the thicknesses of the layers. The problem appears when I reopen CA or open another file. If I select a wall type that I edited, it will show incorrect materials in the preview pane, and if I right-click to edit it again, the materials are completely random. The materials seemed to be changed even before I drop it into the plan.

I've had the same thing happen a couple of times but with different objects from my library. When using a door from a library, the material "white" is still called 'white' but shows the texture for 'river rock'.  And today, when using a deck railing from my library, the material for the newel posts was titled correctly but used the texture for  Eldorado Stone / Banff Springs, which was used on some of the house walls.

2 minutes ago, Alaskan_Son said:

Post a plan that contains your desired wall type as well as an exported library object with one of those corrupted wall types.

I have attached a plan file that contains a wall (brick-4) from the new user library I attached. The calbz file contains only the pasted wall types from the core catalog.

I have sent my plan files to Chief support and they were unable to recreate this issue.

sample wall.plan

New user library.calibz

6 minutes ago, robdyck said:

I've had the same thing happen a couple of times but with different objects from my library. When using a door from a library, the material "white" is still called 'white' but shows the texture for 'river rock'.  And today, when using a deck railing from my library, the material for the newel posts was titled correctly but used the texture for  Eldorado Stone / Banff Springs, which was used on some of the house walls.

Yes. Exactly what I am experiencing with my walls. Are you using objects that you saved to your user library? I have zero issues with the core, bonus, or manuf. catalogs.

5 minutes ago, SabGroup said:

Yes. Exactly what I am experiencing with my walls. Are you using objects that you saved to your user library? I have zero issues with the core, bonus, or manuf. catalogs.

In both cases, yes. I've never kept track of the issue, I've just deleted or fixed as quickly as possible and moved on. I'm not even sure I replicate the problem if I had to.

I spoke too soon.

4 minutes ago, SabGroup said:

I have attached a plan file that contains a wall (brick-4) from the new user library I attached. The calbz file contains only the pasted wall types from the core catalog.

I have sent my plan files to Chief support and they were unable to recreate this issue.

sample wall.plan

New user library.calibz

Both of those files seem to contain zero data.  Looks like some other people were having problems with attachments here recently as well.  Maybe try emailing to me at alaskansons@gmail.com

Just now, Alaskan_Son said:

Both of those files seem to contain zero data. 

There is a problem with uploading files to this forum at the moment. I cannot upload any files. I have even tried sending from my phone and from a different browser.