Schedules

skoz44

Is there a way to make the schedule list the items in a specific order?  For example, all my walls start with an "N" for new and "E" for existing. I'd like the wall schedule to be organized with all the "E" walls listed first, then the "N" walls.

Also, in the CA tutorials, they show to place schedules on a CAD detail and then send to layout.  Is there any specific reason for this, rather than simply creating it in the .plan file? 
When I'm double checking my walls, windows and doors, I find it easier to work with when its sitting next to the floor plan layout.

If the column that contains the distinguishing letter N or E is the first column in the schedule, then the wall schedule will organize all the E's first. If there already is an existing schedule, re-order the columns, copy the schedule, then delete the original.

15 minutes ago, skoz44 said:

Is there any specific reason for this,

I believe Chief operates faster when the schedules are not in plan view. If I'm wrong about this, someone will undoubtedly correct me in short order! With practice (and multiple monitors) working with the schedules in a CAD detail will become easier...so I'd encourage you to develop that habit.

• Like 1

You can put schedules where ever you like, plans, details, or elevations.  For complex plans, putting your schedules into cad details can improve performance and limit plan clutter which is why we recommend it as a best practice.

As for sorting your schedules, as pointed out by Robert, by default schedules are basically sorted alphabetically based on the information in the schedule rows.  Changing the order of your schedule columns can give you what you want.  The other thing to note is that you can also just rearrange the schedule rows manually by selecting the schedule and then dragging the row handle up or down.

2 hours ago, Dermot said:

The other thing to note is that you can also just rearrange the schedule rows manually by selecting the schedule and then dragging the row handle up or down.

However, some schedule types aren't as sticky as others and that manual arrangement may slip away on you when you aren't looking. I've experienced this, mostly with note schedules. 

2 hours ago, robdyck said:

However, some schedule types aren't as sticky as others and that manual arrangement may slip away on you when you aren't looking. I've experienced this, mostly with note schedules.

I use the notes schedules quite a bit and they seem pretty stable when I use these tools to move items up and down.

Edited by steve_stuart
image wouldn't load

I can't seem to get the image placed here but it you select an item in your schedule (door, window, cabinet, etc.) you will see two icons in the tray to either move the item up or down in the schedule. I have not noticed that they move if I do this instead of dragging them up or down.

46 minutes ago, steve_stuart said:

I use the notes schedules quite a bit and they seem pretty stable when I use these tools to move items up and down.

I agree, they are pretty stable, but when you do have a glitch, it really sucks. My only point was that it can happen and so, heads up, its one more thing to look over before the final print. 

A bit more context for anyone stumbling across this: I used a note schedule in elevation view to list a specific set of  code requirements for windows. Once the list is compiled, I reorganize them according to my preferred hierarchy. Occasionally, when the elevation view is closed then re-opened, that schedule will re-organize itself. This has happened on more than one file.

"Occasionally, when the elevation view is closed then re-opened, that schedule will re-organize itself. This has happened on more than one file."

As far as I can tell, schedule row ordering is very stable.  I have tried everything I could possibly think of to get this to happen and the only way I could do it was by manually doing a cut/paste on the schedule.  Schedules won't maintain the row ordering if you take them completely out of the plan and then put them back in.  Other than that, they always stayed exactly how I set them.  I tried a note schedule and even a window schedule and found no strange behavior (even when doing things like reflecting a wall or using edit area on the wall).

If you are ever able to reproduce this problem in any kind of repeatable way, then please report this to our technical support team.