Slow Performance and poor responsiveness in X12

justinorwig

Hi Everyone.

I've had a terrible time with performance in x12.  I've been on the line with tech support and tried everything they suggest as well as everything I can think of for computer health outside of chief that I can find.  I have a 2019 MacBook Pro with 16 gb ram and 4gb graphics card.  I don't run any major applications at all other than chief.  I use chief, pages, numbers and safari and rarely ever together (safari and chief are really the only two at once).

I am seeing tremendous lag in floor camera view which I use a lot to inspect as I go.  I am only working on cabinet layouts not full house plans.  I have sent the plan files to tech support and they cannot reproduce my issues.  I've attached a pdf of the conversation with tech and also a video of whats going on.  In addition it takes forever to save PDF layouts and may times chief locks up.

I don't know if this is a setting issue or hardware issue

I really appreciate any insight!

Chief Architect Support.pdf

You may want to post the plan file so someone with the same computer specifications could try it out to compare.  It could be something as simple as some high poly count drawer pulls or a light fixture from sketchup.

17 minutes ago, justinorwig said:

Hi Everyone.

I've had a terrible time with performance in x12.  I've been on the line with tech support and tried everything they suggest as well as everything I can think of for computer health outside of chief that I can find.  I have a 2019 MacBook Pro with 16 gb ram and 4gb graphics card.  I don't run any major applications at all other than chief.  I use chief, pages, numbers and safari and rarely ever together (safari and chief are really the only two at once).

I am seeing tremendous lag in floor camera view which I use a lot to inspect as I go.  I am only working on cabinet layouts not full house plans.  I have sent the plan files to tech support and they cannot reproduce my issues.  I've attached a pdf of the conversation with tech and also a video of whats going on.  In addition it takes forever to save PDF layouts and may times chief locks up.

I don't know if this is a setting issue or hardware issue

I really appreciate any insight!

Chief Architect Support.pdf

Could be texture resolution, symbol face count if any are imported, any number of things. I believe movement in camera is processor dominant versus movement in plan being gfx dominant. Post your .plan file please

Not at all what you want to hear but....I used X6 on a pretty solid HP desktop when it came out. A year later X7 came out and WOULD NOT RUN!! I would have a model with 4 walls..nothing more, just 4 walls, move a wall and had time to go make a sandwich to wait for the lag. X6 worked fine, another year later X8 worked fine. I was never able to use X7. 

Chief and I tried for a week to figure out what was up, and nothing. Finally had to get back to work and just skipped X7 all together. I think there are some versions that for whatever reason do not play well with certain machines. X10 is a bit "laggy" on my current HP, but X11 and X12 are fine.

• Like 1

I have that same laptop and have not seen those issues.  I don’t have it handy right now to open up your file but have you checked to see if you have all of your labels layers on?  That is also a famous issue with slowing things down.  Otherwise I would send to tech support as that computer runs Chief really well!

• Like 1

Thanks everyone. I've tried all and Still no luck.  And CA tech support can't replicate the problem when I send in various files that have the issue.  Looking for that elusive loose bolt

Does anyone run eGPU with a matchbook pro?

1 minute ago, justinorwig said:

Thanks everyone. I've tried all and Still no luck.  And CA tech support can't replicate the problem when I send in various files that have the issue.  Looking for that elusive loose bolt

I was running one with my previous 13” mb pro but it honestly used the same GPU as in your 16”. Which is super capable.  I am guessing it is something in your template slowing it down.

10 minutes ago, justinorwig said:

Only texture I see that is an outside import is "wood mode" which is on your island. shouldn't be an issue. CPU is throttling possibly, maybe a Bus/CPU driver is needed. Or an opengl issue. Check all drivers.

A test for you. Turn off all layers but walls. do you still have the same issues? Turn layers back on one by one till issue arises.

Do you have trouble with a handle grab and drag in plan view?

Thanks renerabbitt.  Layers didn't make any change.  Drag and drop in plan view is okay.

I'm using a 50" Vizio 505 led tvwith "120hz" refresh rate run via thunderbolt.  It "might" be a little better run off of laptop alone.  Still seems to be intermittent. I use Magic Mouse which has always been great for CA.  I have a LG 32" computer monitor that was about the same.  

Do I need to wipe my hard drive and reinstall the whole computer and X12?

6 minutes ago, justinorwig said:

Thanks renerabbitt.  Layers didn't make any change.  Drag and drop in plan view is okay.

I'm using a 50" Vizio 505 led tvwith "120hz" refresh rate run via thunderbolt.  It "might" be a little better run off of laptop alone.  Still seems to be intermittent. I use Magic Mouse which has always been great for CA.  I have a LG 32" computer monitor that was about the same.  

Do I need to wipe my hard drive and reinstall the whole computer and X12?

This all points to a driver issue IMO. Nothing wrong with the plan file..does it happen in all of your plans? have you tried using chiefs template plan and check if you have issues there?

If its a driver how can I resolve?  I tried a CA template and not sure if its any different.  Of course a smaller test plan.

I opened a file in X12 I made in X10 and it seems to have the same issue which I don't recall it having then

9 minutes ago, justinorwig said:

If its a driver how can I resolve?  I tried a CA template and not sure if its any different.  Of course a smaller test plan.

I opened a file in X12 I made in X10 and it seems to have the same issue which I don't recall it having then

Driver issue is OS related...nothing to do with Chief. If you are unfamiliar with updating drivers, consult your computer tech. If all plans perform similarly and no one can recreate the problem it points to your computer having outdated drivers or hardware performance issues.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, glennw said:

I was just about to suggest that you check and make sure that you are using the graphics card and not the onboard graphics.

What does Video card Status say (in Preferences)

The video card preference can also be controlled in System Preferences > Energy Saver

46 minutes ago, glennw said:

I was just about to suggest that you check and make sure that you are using the graphics card and not the onboard graphics.

What does Video card Status say (in Preferences) 

I (possibly errantly) assumed that with all the back and forth and troubleshooting both with tech support and here in this thread that surely someone had already mentioned that and that I had just glossed over it.  This is typically one of the very first things people check, and if it wasn't checked, you could of course very well be right.