Layers exported to DWG not appearing in AUTOCAD

goldadamgold

Greetings all, thanks in advance for any insights...

I am exporting files to DWG to hand off to freelancer who works in AutoCAD. 

My floorplan exported with no issues; the layer set functions as expected in AutoCAD. 

However, when I export a layout or elevation view, only a basic set of CAD layers and labels successfully make the trip. 

I've double and triple checked layer sets and active layers to be sure the same layers are selected in all three export scenarios. 

But I'm getting nowhere.  So I've concluded that either I am consistently neglecting some simple but essential selection, or Chief only exports specific CAD layers in when exporting a 3D view to a 2D drawing. 

But if there is a workaround, or a  way to get all layers to export in views other than PLAN, it would be a huge help - any re-dimensioning he has to do will be time on an hourly rate, or time I spend to save that $$. 

Thanks!

Thanks. Considered that. 

Unfortunately, it's not as simple as visibility - which I find totally blows in AutoCAD anyway .

The layers don't show up in the AutoCAD layers panel.  

I exported a modified ALL LAYERS ON layerset. 

This is what populates in AutoCAD:

1187712646_LAYERSINCAD.thumb.png.9d35195e8341af76f6a02973e9ce6eaa.png

True.  

First I did EXPORT ALL USED AND NAMED.

646559499_ALLUSED.thumb.png.b29a7c139945b817bd3051789f50271d.png157349650_ALLUSEDNAMED.thumb.png.e1a41535994b705f31eb4c76426c20e1.png

Then I read a few posts, and tried EXPORT ONLY DISPLAYED LAYERS. But I displayed everything I could. 297061892_D7DISPLAYONLY.thumb.png.e3e18aa9ac6f1cc8f136b5c7124b964c.png1631864609_DISPLAYONLY.thumb.png.9367e18454349394e8a63dccb38f6245.png

I couldn't get any additional layers to display in LAYOUT, even when I went in to change active defaults, which led me to conclude that layout displays layers as CAD... (?) 

I swear, I idiot-checked myself before I asked.  

I've only had success in plan view.  Is there something I'm missing to export the layers in a model view as well?  

I do get more layers, just no dimensions or callouts.  

Basically, I just want to include dimensions and material names so he doesn't have to rebuild every elevation.  

I'm thinking exporting a full 3D model may be the best route, and he can then produce the elevation views in AutoCAD. 

But it seems like it's just not going to be as seamless as I hoped.  

Thanks for your help, BTW. 

• 1 month later...
  • 9 months later...

Hi beeja1

It took a while but I got to the bottom of this one with help from support. 

If you 'Export as DWG' CA will export line data. Plan views are exported as Plot Lines. Camera views (eg elevations and sections)  do not contain line data.

So when you 'Send to Layout' choose Plot Lines and those views will appear on a DWG or DXF export.

I assume you are using Premier.

Regards

Elgreco

• 5 months later...

I have been reading this thread as I have finished a set of design plans, saved as a 4 page pdf and sent them to the structural engineer for his work. we have been working back and forth by phone with the pdfs.  But  he said he would have to redraw the whole building unless I can export as a dwg.  so  I also exported as a dwg but he said it was not usable.  I have read here that you cannot just export a layout, which of course has all the images and details on nicely arranged sheets, as a dwg.  That would make life so much easier.  

So I exported just the working layer set of the building and I selected "export only displayed layers" .  Is that correct?

What about the elevations and 3d images of the building. 

What about the cross section details?  

do I need to export each view as a separate dwg file for him?

thanks guys

Hi Elliot

First ensure all layout elevation views are created as Plot lines. (Note: Plan views are created as Plot Lines anyway).

You can export a whole Layout sheet to AutoCAD but each view will be exported at the scale set in the layout page. For the structural engineer to be able to use the elevation data, such as measure heights, window dimensions etc, he will need to scale up the elevation views by the relevant amount. EG. if a view was created in layout at 1:100 scale that view will need to be scaled up in AutoCAD by a factor of 100 in order to become 1:1 in model space.

It's always a good idea to have an AutoCAD compatible package available to test the exported file before sending to the engineer. I highly recommend progeCAD which is highly compatible with AutoCAD at a fraction of the cost ($300?).

Regards

Elgreco

On 8/5/2020 at 5:21 AM, joey_martin said:

Ahh...you are exporting from layout, that's a no-go....export from the model view.

11 hours ago, Elliot said:

I have read here that you cannot just export a layout, which of course has all the images and details on nicely arranged sheets, as a dwg.  That would make life so much easier.  

It works from layout as long as you are using plot lines which is the recommended format as well as what may be causing the issue here.