possible to limit framing to one room?

Lighthouse

I have a model with a lot of edited framing that I don't want to lose.  In one area, the sill plates are not appearing (they are turned on in layers).  I would like to regenerate the framing for that area, without affecting the rest of the model.  I can do that with roof planes, but there doesn't appear to be a way to limit auto framing to one area.  Any suggestions?

Also, I have a foundation room that is all one room, and the rooms above it are all at the same floor level.  The joists are all the same size.  Yet when I look at the foundation walls in 3d, some are higher than others even though the bottoms are all in the same plane.  What can account for different wall heights within a single room, where the floor above is one level?   I have attached the plan, it is the area with a circle around it on floor 0 that is the problem.

thanks much for any help, I've spent the whole day on this so far :-(

c.zip

Didn’t go to your model but to answer your first question you can select one wall and reframe just that wall.  Note you will need to permit it (ie unselect retain framing before and respect it after.). 

Purely a guess based on your description but possibly your walls heights are different because you have different ceiling and floor heights in the rom dbx and you made it look how you want it by possibly dragging the walls in an elevation or 3d view?  If that is the case select all of your walls and in the structure tab of the dbx select default wall height top and bottom.  The go to your preferences and set your 0 floor ceiling height (assuming they are all set to use defaults). Same on first floor.  But just A guess.  I am not at my computer but doing pool time on my phone.  Maybe someone who is at their computer can open the plan file and check if my guess is right?

6 hours ago, Lighthouse said:

What can account for different wall heights within a single room, where the floor above is one level?

The joists maybe the same the Floor Structure is not....... have not looked further ....

image.thumb.png.6b21ea68cea43be0dc3a84672f59b0ea.png

image.thumb.png.cca8a8adb9f91ea279a375078da8b30a.pngimage.thumb.png.ee2915c535673b93bff696ab31b7d95a.png

9 hours ago, Lighthouse said:

I've spent the whole day on this so far :-(

Just a friendly piece of advice.  In an instance like that, you're better off just manually placing the things and moving on. 

To give you a very general answer to your question though, you can technically select all but one or more rooms and check Retain Floor/Ceiling Framing.  You may or may not want to place those rooms onto their own Framing Group though (the setting directly below Retain Floor/Ceiling Framing).

10 hours ago, Kbird1 said:

The joists maybe the same the Floor Structure is not....... have not looked further ....

image.thumb.png.6b21ea68cea43be0dc3a84672f59b0ea.png

image.thumb.png.cca8a8adb9f91ea279a375078da8b30a.pngimage.thumb.png.ee2915c535673b93bff696ab31b7d95a.png

Mick,

Thanks so much for opening the plan and catching that!   It makes me very happy when I find the underlying cause of a problem, so I know that CA is not just trying to drive me insane!

8 hours ago, Alaskan_Son said:

Just a friendly piece of advice.  In an instance like that, you're better off just manually placing the things and moving on. 

To give you a very general answer to your question though, you can technically select all but one or more rooms and check Retain Floor/Ceiling Framing.  You may or may not want to place those rooms onto their own Framing Group though (the setting directly below Retain Floor/Ceiling Framing).

Michael, I don't see "retain floor/ceiling framing" anywhere in the room dbx.  I'm using X10, do you know how long that feature has been around?  Maybe time to upgrade, as that seems like an important tool.

Re placing things manually- that's basically what I've been doing for the last 25 years, and have been making a concerted effort to get away from that.  My Holy Grail is actually not to produce any "drawings" at all- I'm trying to create a perfect model that I just give to the contractor, with a bunch of saved cameras and saved plan views. (of course I'll have to produce something for the building dept).  But I find on very custom projects that there is a huge number of sections that would be useful, but many are very similar to each other.  I think it would be great if the contractor could look at the 3d framing model and see what the intention is.  So on this project I'm wasting vast amounts of time trying to perfect the model because I think it will be useful over the course of the job and also to learn what the limitations of CA are.  

15 minutes ago, solver said:

It's in X12

ct1.thumb.png.ff61a6bfa5f6ac4e886289c1b2897559.png

Ah, that would explain it.  One thing I'm curious about- how does it treat joists that span across multiple rooms, which would be typical.  If a single framing member spans three rooms, and you check "retain floor/ceiling framing" just for one of the three rooms, what happens?

54 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

Ah, that would explain it.  One thing I'm curious about- how does it treat joists that span across multiple rooms, which would be typical.  If a single framing member spans three rooms, and you check "retain floor/ceiling framing" just for one of the three rooms, what happens?

I didn't notice you were in X10 either.....In X12 you can now frame independent Floor Framing in individual Rooms along with Walls and Roofs etc.

This training Video from the Free Webinars Series will let you see Scott Harris use it in a Bathroom addition...

https://www.chiefarchitect.com/videos/watch/10215/remodeling-new-addition-framing-materials-list.html?playlist=171

1 hour ago, Lighthouse said:

also to learn what the limitations of CA are.  

Methinks you blaspheme   ;):P:)

M.

2 hours ago, Kbird1 said:

Methinks you blaspheme   ;):P

M.

Agreed! haha :)

BTW I believe in X10 you can still individually select walls and frame them individually (don't recall for 100% right now and not at computer again)...  But I think what Michael was talking about was the wall framing issue at the window.  Pretty easy to open up that one wall and reframe around the new window and go on instead of spending a considerable amount of time to fix it automatically.  Now from my side I totally understand as my OCD wants a perfect Auto everything model.  I still end up having to give in on some and fix it instead of letting it do it automatically... :(  But generally that is a stairs or a roof thing in 99% of the cases and it is just the way Chief works on that particular item where it is good for 99.9% of the cases but not the %0.01 of cases that particular model falls into...