Surface book 3

RobWhite

3 hours ago, RobWhite said:

Can anyone tell me how surface book 3, (32 ram, i7 1 Tb hard drive) performs with chief X12? A list of pros & cons helpful

I have the business version with the quadro card, added the surface dock 2. about $4.5K all told. Bought it at release.
Handles chief very well with the occasional hiccup from throttling or multitasking. The CPU is built for low power consumption not multitasking so when it reaches its threshold it slows down quite a bit...for the average PC user you wouldn't experience this. I've recomended this computer to plenty of people and thus far two colleagues have bought it and love it.
Read/write speed is fantastic, startup is lightning fast, if your familiar with drafting in chief on a touch screen, this thing is a dream for that, especially when put into an A-frame configuration. You need a second keyboard for that.

The quadro card is an RTX, which if X-13 takes use of RTX as has been rumored, it would be a requirement to have the quadro in my opinion. So I would not buy the GTX variant..spend the extra money and get the quadro if you're going to buy it.

Aside from Chief, this machine renders quite well in Thea, 3dsMax and Arnold, Twinmotion is okay, Substance alchemist. Very impressive graphic performance for a small machine.

Surface dock 2 is a must for 4K

9 hours ago, Renerabbitt said:

So I would not buy the GTX variant..spend the extra money and get the quadro if you're going to buy it.

Don't know the Surface Book at all but as long as the Nvidia Card is a 2000 Series of higher it will be RTX capable even the 2060, but the 10 or 16 Series Nvidia Cards are GTX only and won't support the RTX technology should Chief make use of it in future Versions ......which is my hope too as I just ordered a 2070 Super RTX Laptop. 

M.

9 minutes ago, Kbird1 said:

Don't know the Surface Book at all but as long as the Nvidia Card is a 2000 Series of higher it will be RTX capable even the 2060, but the 10 or 16 Series Nvidia Cards are GTX only and won't support the RTX technology should Chief make use of it in future Versions ......which is my hope too as I just ordered a 2070 Super RTX Laptop. 

M.

Its the 1660 or quadro, no other options

Just now, Renerabbitt said:

Its the 1660 or quadro, no other options

Thanks for the info the 1660 or 1660ti in particular is pretty capable but isn't RTX capable. 

Quadro is still pretty expensive and as far as I know Chief does not use the extra Quadro capabilities ( other than RTX/DLSS etc) but in this case if you want RTX for future-proofing you have little choice.

20 minutes ago, DRAWZILLA said:

If you look at the min. requirements at chiefs website, they don't recommend Quadro cards

I believe that relates to the extra Cost of the Quadro Cards ( 2-3X $$$ of a gaming card ) , not to their Performance .

Chief just doesn't use any of the Added Features of the Quadro range , so the $$$ spent aren't worth it for most,

unless you also use other Software that can use the Quadro enhancements too.

M .

1 hour ago, lbuttery said:

my understanding about Quadro cards matces Mick's reply

Lew

1 hour ago, DRAWZILLA said:

this is what I see

min requirments.png

1 hour ago, Kbird1 said:

I believe that relates to the extra Cost of the Quadro Cards ( 2-3X $$$ of a gaming card ) , not to their Performance .

Chief just doesn't use any of the Added Features of the Quadro range , so the $$$ spent aren't worth it for most,

unless you also use other Software that can use the Quadro enhancements too.

M .

Maybe, just maybe, Chief will be rolling out RTX capabilities in a release or two...maybe because of Apple's deprecating support for opengl..and if you were a software vendor relying on multiplatform graphics intensive task, maybe you would start developing for the inevitable, and break into the gaming side of the market to supercharge your rendering and PBR capabilities...and you the consumer would really really wish you bought the quadro over the gtx :)
Even if Chief doesn't jump on RTX development, they may introduce features to auto-sync 3d files to softwares that do use RTX...no matter what I can't imagine RTX not being a player in Chief down the road.

https://www.quora.com/Is-OpenGL-dead

It's just my two cents...I have other uses for the quadro card, but this computer is supposed to last me 5 years..It HAS to be on the RTX train for it to make sense for 5 years of progression...Keep in mind I own and have logged 100's of hours with this machine already, no graphic problems in Chief whatsoever

17 minutes ago, Renerabbitt said:

Even if Chief doesn't jump on RTX development, they may introduce features to auto-sync 3d files to softwares that do use RTX...no matter what I can't imagine RTX not being a player in Chief down the road.

Oh I think they will but the GTX vs Quadro discussion here, in this thread, is only related to the Surface 3 as they are the only 2 options apparently.....

Most newer Nvidia Cards ie the 2000 Series ( or 3000 series due next year or sooner?) are all RTX capable..... so for other laptops or Desktops any Nvidia gaming card will be fine and likely save you a lot of cash if your heart isn't set on a Surface Book 3.

The Quadro Cards are needed for many 3D modelling Apps and 3D Engineering/Production  etc and those programs are writen to take advantage of the Quadro Cards added Features ---Chief does not as it currently uses a Proprietary 3D engine ( which Nvidia doesn't know exists apparently as the NV Control panel doesn't even recognise Chief as a 3D app.)

M.

3 minutes ago, Kbird1 said:

Oh I think they will but the GTX vs Quadro discussion here, in this thread, is only related to the Surface 3 as they are the only 2 options apparently.....

Most newer Nvidia Cards ie the 2000 Series ( or 3000 series due next year or sooner?) are all RTX capable..... so for other laptops or Desktops any Nvidia gaming card will be fine and likely save you a lot of cash if your heart isn't set on a Surface Book 3.

The Quadro Cards are needed for many 3D modelling Apps and 3D Engineering/Production  etc and those programs are writen to take advantage of the Quadro Cards added Features ---Chief does not as it currently uses a Proprietary 3D engine ( which Nvidia doesn't know exists apparently as the NV Control panel doesn't even recognise Chief as a 3D app.)

M.

Back to the OP- and Mick I wish I could gift you a week behind the wheel of this thing...it truly is an awesome machine, expecially for us strapped to our property. I can draft from any angle, fully reclined on my deck, upside down(yes I have) from my couch, from my kitchen. Site measurements are a dream...the touch screen on the whole, is a completely addicting experience...and it may seem strange, but the touchscreen is more enjoyable on a screen of this size as opposed to the 24" screens Chief sets up at the expo's...shorter distance to travel.
Pair it with a 3d mouse and I really will never buy anything but a touchscreen.

8 minutes ago, Renerabbitt said:

Back to the OP- and Mick I wish I could gift you a week behind the wheel of this thing...it truly is an awesome machine, especially for us strapped to our property. I can draft from any angle, fully reclined on my deck, upside down(yes I have) from my couch, from my kitchen. Site measurements are a dream...the touch screen on the whole, is a completely addicting experience...and it may seem strange, but the touchscreen is more enjoyable on a screen of this size as opposed to the 24" screens Chief sets up at the expo's...shorter distance to travel.
Pair it with a 3d mouse and I really will never buy anything but a touchscreen.

Oh...just to be clear , I wasn't saying anything bad about the Surface Book 3 , I don't have one  ( I have an Original Surface 3 Tablet )  , I was just commenting that RTX is available cheaper elsewhere if people don't have your budget for the Surface book and the Quadro Option to get RTX Technology.

M.