New EGPU question

SusanC

Hi,

I am setting up a new GEFORCE RTX 2060 Super + Razer COREX for my MacBook Pro 15" and I am stalled.  I have read through the threads on this forum and see that there are quite a few Chief / MacOS users successfully using an EGPU.  I've loaded loaded my 2060 into the Razer and plugged it into power and my Thunderbolt port.  

1.  Where do I find the driver to download?  NVIDIA supports only Windows.  

2.  How do I direct Chief to use this EGPU?

Thank you,

Susan

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, SusanC said:

Hi,

I am setting up a new GEFORCE RTX 2060 Super + Razer COREX for my MacBook Pro 15" and I am stalled.  I have read through the threads on this forum and see that there are quite a few Chief / MacOS users successfully using an EGPU.  I've loaded loaded my 2060 into the Razer and plugged it into power and my Thunderbolt port.  

1.  Where do I find the driver to download?  NVIDIA supports only Windows.  

2.  How do I direct Chief to use this EGPU?

Thank you,

Susan

I may be incorrect but I believe you need to use another gpu.  There may be a way to crack it and make it work as I read some of that when I was originally researching it but I believe it very much compromises your OSX and abilities to upgrade in the future.  I used to use Sonnet's breakaway puck egpu and it used an AMD card.  Worked great for a little 13" mbp but I upgraded since then to the 2019 MBP 16".

9 minutes ago, SusanC said:

Update:  Thank you for the info Ryan.  I exchanged the NVIDIA for an AMD and everything works great!

Glad it worked.  I worked quite some time with my e-gpu and even traveled with it.  It surged with a power spike in Mexico and they told me it had built in protection so it should have not done that and they replaced it free and clear after 18 months of use.  I ended up upgrading my laptop at that time and just turned around and sold the new unit but it worked quite well with a 13" MBP.  That all being said I love my new 16" as it seems to be the sweetspot of portability mixed with enough size.

• Like 1