Google drive thead. (again)

VisualDandD

I know I have seen this topic pop up over the years.   Last I remember many were recommending only Drop Box.

So....local hard-drive failure this morning.  Great thing is a keep a running back up of my entire data drive.  (Not a raid, but a software solution that writes to a 2gb data drive.)

So, since I have some work to do setting everything up, I was contemplating changing my local files to cloud-based.   Would prefer Google, but last I remember a few years back there were some syncing issues.

I can do dropbox also.  Prefer not to use OneDrive.

Any current recommendations?  Anyone had success with Google drive lately?>

Thanks!

Found thread from 2019 and it looks like Google drive was still giving issues.

After reading that thread, I may consider one drive again also.  Any thoughts....one drive vs dropbox?  Looks like both handle 2tb @ the 10$/month level.

I have been using Google Drive at my office successfully for several years.  

To be safe, Chief suggests that the file be:  downloaded, syncing stopped, worked on, re-uploaded, and syncing turned back on.  I tend to be the only one in the office working on files so I access directly off Google Drive and don't have any issues.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, VisualDandD said:

Google drive lately?

Both Onedrive and Dropbox are leagues ahead of Google Drive IMO. I still run Google Drive, but it simply doesn't work as well as OneDrive or Dropbox when it comes to multiseat softwares, collaborative or remote ofices etc. Works great for backups, but doesn't have the perfromance features that are built into the other cloud services. I can run Chief from Dropbox and Onedrive without needing to worry that things have synced up or conflicted copies/file locking etc.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Renerabbitt said:

Both Onedrive and Dropbox are leagues ahead of Google Drive IMO. I still run Google Drive, but it simply doesn't work as well as OneDrive or Dropbox when it comes to multiseat softwares, collaborative or remote ofices etc. Works great for backups, but doesn't have the perfromance features that are built into the other cloud services. I can run Chief from Dropbox and Onedrive without needing to worry that things have synced up or conflicted copies/file locking etc.

Thanks!   I probably need to take a look at one drive a little closer.  I just hate MS stuff but did not realize you could buy without the entire suite.

Boy....this would all sure beat traveling with external HD's.   Evey time I leave the house for a long trip, I carry a 2tb back-up drive with me in case the house burns down ;)    I know....paranoid.  But the last 10 years of my life has been mouse clicks.   I have 2-'hot swap' bays on the front of my PC that I built to make removing HD's easy.   

My gut tells me Dropbox since I have always loved it., but I will look closer at One drive also.

7 minutes ago, SusanC said:

I have been using Google Drive at my office successfully for several years.  

To be safe, Chief suggests that the file be:  downloaded, syncing stopped, worked on, re-uploaded, and syncing turned back on.  I tend to be the only one in the office working on files so I access directly off Google Drive and don't have any issues.

Thanks Susan.  I had read in an older thread that that was the issue.   I am not sure I am that regimented to remember to do that.  Often I leave chief open and leave for a few hours and come back.  Sometimes even overnight if I am in a 'good place'.

Thanks for taking the time to help out!

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, VisualDandD said:

My gut tells me Dropbox since I have always loved it., but I will look closer at One drive also.

I was completely happy with OneDrive as it functions even better than Dropbox, but recently moved all project folder to dropbox because of its Dropbox paper app and also for its file locking tools.
I keep all documents on a secondary drive, that way if the OS fails it is of no consequence. The document drive is backed up to the cloud and then periodic backups to a 3rd physical drive. All drives are NVME m.2 drives-(fast), with non O/S drives on PCI riser cards-(faster).
Anything that lives on the OS drive that needs to be backed up is SYmbolically linked to the cloud drives

• Like 1

For my own stuff I use Icloud as I can sync it so easily across my computers but I am a one guy shop.  I do work for several clients and with some other designers as well.  One client loves google drive and so I use it with him but only copy and paste the files once I am done with them to share it with him as I had issues right off the bat the first time he tried to access a file.  But I use dropbox very successfully with all other clients/fellow-designers as it seems to be the least issues.

I can only speak to OneDrive as I have not used Google Drive or Dropbox. 

I have used OneDrive for several years.  My use is as a synchronization service as I frequently use an office desktop, home desktop and a laptop with Chief as well as everything else in our business. It has worked very well for me to have computers loading and sharing the most current files.   Being that it is a sync service I don't view it as a backup - delete or overwrite a file and OneDrive does what it is supposed to do, deletes/overwrites in the cloud as well as all synced machines as soon as they are booted up. 

I don't recall any issues that I may have had, it just works for me. 

I use a combination of DropBox and Carbonite. I've only had to use a Carbonite backup file 2 times in the many years I've had it but those 2 times saved hours of work. DropBox has some little known and perhaps new(?) features like version histories that allow retrieval of deleted files and I've had great luck with it for many years. I also used Google Drive with a contractor and it was good but a little temperamental at times and just gravitated towards DropBox. Never tried OneDrive.

This an old topic now, but I'll add my two cents.  I used to use OneDrive for all my file usage primarily because you log in once and it becomes a native mapped drive on your computer rather than having to sync working files.  I have since switched to a physically located server that I VPN into remotely (a Dell SonicWall router).  You might need some help to set up (and the infrastructure is more pricey) but it provides a couple of extras.  1) you know where the physical drive is, if you have an office environment its quicker to use than a cloud drive; 2) a VPN, especially if you travel and use available free wifi, gives you a completely secure connection back to your "home" network and whatever security you use there.  This is safer also for browsing or whatever else you may do over an open network; 3) Very easy to set up a physical backup and cloud backup on that drive.