why is my subfloor below the top of joist?

Lighthouse

I'm trying to understand what CA shows in section.  In the attached image, there appear to be two layers at the top of the joist, which I would assume are the subfloor and finish floor.  However, one of the layers is below the top of the joist, which doesn't make sense.   I also don't understand what all the lines are below the joist.  I created a 3/4" space, as can be seen in the dbx, below the joists, because here in New England we run strapping (1x3) perpendicular to the joists, and then hang the blueboard on that.

My questions are:

-why does the subfloor appear to be flush with top of joist, instead of above?

-does CA show the ceiling plane  in section (I have it turned on , but is does not have a red mark)

-what are the lines below the joist? (I thought they might be top plates, but I have wall framing turned off)

thanks for any help!!!!!!

framing.JPG

23 minutes ago, Alaskan_Son said:

You should post the plan.  Looks to me like you have manually positioned framing that just wasn't moved to suit changes to the model. 

Maybe,  or after turning off auto framing he adjusted the floor height which is essentially what you are saying.

• Upvote 1

you guys are correct, as always!  thanks!  That is exactly what happened, I manually placed the joists (a while ago, forgot that I did that) and then adjusted the floor level.  I just deleted all the joists and regenerated them and it fixed it.  So that problem is solved.  But just one other question (I'm really trying to learn how to perfect the model and not draw CAD sections)-  is ceiling framing only available when you don't have a floor above?  For example, let's say you had a 2x10 floor platform but you want to make a hung ceiling below that  out of 2x4s.  Would you make a lower ceiling height and then use ceiling framing?  Or will it not work because it thinks the floor is the ceiling?

1 minute ago, Lighthouse said:

.... For example, let's say you had a 2x10 floor platform but you want to make a hung ceiling below that  out of 2x4s.  Would you make a lower ceiling height and then use ceiling framing?  Or will it not work because it thinks the floor is the ceiling?

Oh boy,  this one is in my wheelhouse.....  if I can only answer before Alaskan Son does......  define the dropped ceiling in the ceiling tab....  you want a 10" dropped ceiling,  give 6" of airspace under floor joists and then 3-1/2" ceiling joists and then 1/2" drywall.  Easy Peasy 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Lighthouse said:

you guys are correct, as always!  thanks!  That is exactly what happened, I manually placed the joists (a while ago, forgot that I did that) and then adjusted the floor level.  I just deleted all the joists and regenerated them and it fixed it.  So that problem is solved.  But just one other question (I'm really trying to learn how to perfect the model and not draw CAD sections)-  is ceiling framing only available when you don't have a floor above?  For example, let's say you had a 2x10 floor platform but you want to make a hung ceiling below that  out of 2x4s.  Would you make a lower ceiling height and then use ceiling framing?  Or will it not work because it thinks the floor is the ceiling?

Various methods.  Try searching the Help files for things like "dropped ceiling" or "lowered ceiling" and read through the results to get a more precise answer, but there are several ways off the top...

-Using multiple floors

-Using ceiling planes

-Using The Room Ceiling Finish

-Using manual framing and solids

34 minutes ago, dshall said:

Oh boy,  this one is in my wheelhouse.....  if I can only answer before Alaskan Son does......  define the dropped ceiling in the ceiling tab....  you want a 10" dropped ceiling,  give 6" of airspace under floor joists and then 3-1/2" ceiling joists and then 1/2" drywall.  Easy Peasy 

Where is the "ceiling tab".  The only place I can see to define ceilings is in the room specification dbx, in the structure tab, there is a ceiling spec where I can define the ceiling structure.  I created the ceiling there, but it doesn't seem to build anything when I rebuild floors and ceilings.  what am I missing?