Looking on tips for moving a building relative to the site

Kaemingk

I have a fully developed drawing plan for a pool house project.  After speaking with the local building department I found that I need to move the building a few feet.  Obviously I can group select the building with annotations and all but I was wondering if there's some additional tips you could give before I do?  I started by creating a plan view that has all layers on and then began to remove terrain layers and things that would not move.  I haven't done anything else yet.  Let me know if you have any tips!

Thank you in advance.  

Don't move the building.  Just move the terrain stuff.  Easiest to start by creating a layer set with only the desired layers turned on.  Use Reference Display if you need snaps, and then (depending on the situation), you can either group select or use Edit Area Visible to move.

20 minutes ago, Kaemingk said:

Let me know if you have any tips!

What Michael said, I have had success in past, blocking items I didnt want to move, copying them to clipboard, then edit\edit area(all floors)\ moving everything then edit\paste\paste hold position. Then delete original block

Thanks for the tips.  It's a 4 acre site with multiple buildings so I decided to go ahead and move the building instead.  It wasn't as difficult as I thought but only after going through all my layouts and plan views will I know if any problems will arise.  Thank you again.  If I find any issues I'll post again with my findings.  

1 minute ago, Kaemingk said:

only after going through all my layouts and plan views will I know if any problems will arise.

This^^^^ is the main reason I recommended moving the terrain stuff instead.  When you shift the building it typically messes with all your plan views, all your elevation views, and all your camera views whereas moving the terrain typically only affects the Plot Plan and maybe a couple other minor details.

But the problem here is unique to sites with multiple buildings, when one or more but not all need to reposition relative to the scheme.

As in, "I now want the workshop building moved 20 feet east and the barn rotated about 15 degrees."

Hasn't this been discussed before?  Doesn't each building get modeled in its own plan file and then buildings done as symbols to place around on carefully modeled terrain?

6 minutes ago, GeneDavis said:

But the problem here is unique to sites with multiple buildings, when one or more but not all need to reposition relative to the scheme.

As in, "I now want the workshop building moved 20 feet east and the barn rotated about 15 degrees."

Hasn't this been discussed before?  Doesn't each building get modeled in its own plan file and then buildings done as symbols to place around on carefully modeled terrain?

The devil is always in the details so there's no right or wrong way and it just comes down to what the extra buildings are for.  Converting buildings to symbols is fine if you're only using them for a few basic 3D shots, but even then, I would consider those to be part of the "terrain stuff" and would still recommend moving those instead of the main building.