that no one would ever think of doing without asking here

I've been suggesting that CA fix this "newbie" stumble for almost 15 years now

surely, they find a solution by now 

Lew

• Like 1
  • Downvote 1

4 hours ago, lbuttery said:

surely, they find a solution by now 

There is a solution.  It's called Plan Check, and it's very quickly discovered by reading the Help files like everyone should be doing anyway...

Living Area

The Living Area label is an automatically generated Text object that reports the area of the current floor specified as living space. By default, Interior Rooms are defined as part of the Living Area, while Exterior and Hybrid Rooms are not. See Room Functions.

Regardless of its Room Type, you can specify whether any room is included in the Living Area Calculation in theRoom Specification dialog. See General Panel.

A Living Area label is created as soon as a room area is defined by walls and/or railings and is recalculated every time you add, remove, resize, or redefine a room or when you Rebuild Walls/Floors/Ceilings . If multiple buildings are created, each will have its own Living Area label. If none of a structure’s rooms are included in the Living Area Calculation, however, no Living Area label will display for it.

Each Living Area label can be edited in its specification dialog. If a new floor is added, however, any existing Living Area labels will be deleted and replaced. See Text Specification Dialog.

To turn off the display of all Living Area labels in a plan, uncheck Show Living Area Label in the General Plan Defaults dialog or turn off the “Room Labels” layer in the Layer Display Options dialog. See General Plan Defaults Dialog.

The Living Area label can be moved or deleted. To restore a deleted Living Area label, select Tools> Checks>Plan Check . You can click the Done button immediately, without actually completing Plan Check. See Plan Check.

Michael:

sorry, but it is non-intuitive to find that in Plan Check

users will scour the menus, they will scour preferences, and defaults

they will scratch their heads and they will post on the forum

which has happened time and again over 15 years

hence this thread - hence the prior threads

CA has a setting in general plan defaults for "Show living area Label"

why not have one right next to it for "Restore living area label" ?

why bury it in Plan Check ?

Lew

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

On 7/31/2020 at 4:19 AM, lbuttery said:

it is non-intuitive to find that in Plan Check

I agree.  It's really not very intuitive.  Having said that, a lot of things aren't though and I think it's out of necessity in order to keep the program manageable.  We can't have a separate tool for every single little operation. 

I would argue that instead of users scouring the menus, scouring preferences, scouring defaults, scratching their heads and then finally posting on the forum, that they learn to use the program documentation properly instead.  My question to you is why does it make more sense to scour all the menus than it does to search Help?

And by the way, you say...

On 7/31/2020 at 4:19 AM, lbuttery said:

CA has a setting in general plan defaults for "Show living area Label"

why not have one right next to it for "Restore living area label" ?

...so post a suggestion. 

Michael:

I posted this suggestion many times over a decade ago

I have stopped post suggestions

I now respond to my favorite "issues" when they occur to someone else

I don't know why but going to the manual is usually the last place people go

as a 30+ yr Systems Analyst/programmer I like and was taught to make the GUI "user friendly"

when an issue appears time and again - guess what ? - its an issue 

Lew

• Like 2