Help with Roof

StructEng58

All,

I am working on a house that the customer wants a vaulted gable roof over the great room. I would like to get this gable roof to span the entire great room if I could, but can't seem to get the roof lines to work. I also don't want a very tall gable wall at the great room. See the below images to what I am talking about. I also attached the plan file for reference.

237220768_Brundage-RoofPlan.thumb.jpg.73882b978d1a430ddc0006db6d3a5641.jpg

1357060869_BrundageOverview.thumb.jpg.b82a99828dfe3c758681fedb9f2b7f4c.jpg

Any suggestions or help will be appreciated.

Thank you in advance,

Chris

Brundage.zip

12 minutes ago, solver said:

What's the problem?

The problems is I can't figure out how to get the gable roof to go farther back in the Great Room, so all of the great room has the same vaulted ceiling. It looks like I almost need the ridge elevation of the main roof and great room roof to match. Just looking for another set of eyes basically.

Chris

Have you tried a lower pitched framed ceiling over the great room but under the main roof? Will take some testing to see what pitch would work. Also might require a structural ridge on the high main roof over the great room area to carry the load of the main roof rafters. A 2-story great room ceiling with a reverse gable coming out the back and over the rear porch might work also.

5 minutes ago, solver said:

While i download your plan, please add your version of Chief (X11, X12 etc) as the first item in your signature by clicking on your user name at the top right of the page, click Account Settings, then Signature on the left.

Done

2 minutes ago, Ridge_Runner said:

Have you tried a lower pitched framed ceiling over the great room but under the main roof? Will take some testing to see what pitch would work. Also might require a structural ridge on the high main roof over the great room area to carry the load of the main roof rafters. A 2-story great room ceiling with a reverse gable coming out the back and over the rear porch might work also.

No I haven't. I always use structural ridges, hence why I think the roof over the great room needs to go back to the front wall of the great room, so I can post it down or connect it to the main ridge. The client wants to have the gable as shown, because they want windows up in the gable end.

Chris