Tool Bar Issue

RobUSMC

This is about to drive me crazy.  I have my toolbar set the way I want it.  After making any changes I lock it and in the middle of plans, it disappears.  After I close and restart it shows back up but all icons are squeezed together on the top row.  My toolbar normally has three rows.  Not a plan issue as it has happened in different plans.  I do have one 30" and two 27" monitors and move camera views or library to other screens and have multiple views open.  Any ideas? Having to unlock and manually put them back in order, spaced and the way I like is a pain.

Tool Bar Changes While In Plans.jpg

Tool Bar After Restart.jpg

Tool Bar Locked.jpg

My Normal Toolbar.jpg

I feel you. Personally my toolbar problems are a lot less annoying than yours seem to be. I just reset my toolbars in my profile.plan hoping to stabilize them for the future, we will see. I sometimes see them alter and change for no apparent reason during use but I haven't reported it to Tech Support because I have not identified a pattern that causes the unwanted behavior yet.

DJP

I was having that issue on a previous version of x12 and was never able to pinpoint the issue like David mentioned to send it in.  But I think for the last two updates to chief I have not seen the issue again.  Sometimes simply closing chief and restarting would fix it but other times not.  I would have to re-import (???) my saved toolbar setup.

@RobUSMC In your toolbars folder there is a backup file with your toolbars name and the extension ".toolbar.bak"

You can make a copy of that file and then rename it to remove the ".bak" this would be to replace your faulty toolbar. No idea why you are having the problem in the first place. It happens to me from time to time as well

3 hours ago, DavidJPotter said:

I sometimes see them alter and change for no apparent reason during use but I haven't reported it to Tech Support because I have not identified a pattern that causes the unwanted behavior yet.

Same here. Never could pinpoint what caused it to happen. Closing CA and reopening sometimes brought them back, sometimes not. Frustrating when it doesn't.

• Upvote 1

On 7/24/2020 at 12:28 PM, Renerabbitt said:

@RobUSMC In your toolbars folder there is a backup file with your toolbars name and the extension ".toolbar.bak"

You can make a copy of that file and then rename it to remove the ".bak" this would be to replace your faulty toolbar. No idea why you are having the problem in the first place. It happens to me from time to time as well

Rene, You know my system.  Are you referring to the toolbar folder in my X-12  C drive folder or my Z drive?

Once you have a tool bar configured the way you want it in a new totally blank new plan then save that plan as a backup plan template in another location, if the tool bar gets messed up, shouldn't you be able use that plan back up of your template to restore?   I doesn't seem like a tool bar configuration is saved to a plan template like all other default settings. 

The other question is I was in the plan toolbar  "Default Configuration" and got the toolbar icon settings the way i needed it. I closed chief, reopened, went back into the toolbar config settings, copied the default config and saved it as in this case a new toolbar named Rob's Toolbar".  However, I've worked in a plan with the Rob's Toolbar selected and when it has gotten messed up, I've gone back to the stock default config and I see the same messed up toolbar. I figured they would also be separate like a saved back up template/

11 minutes ago, RobUSMC said:

Once you have a tool bar configured the way you want it in a new totally blank new plan then save that plan as a backup plan template in another location, if the tool bar gets messed up, shouldn't you be able use that plan back up of your template to restore?

I don't think that tool bars are 'plan specific' like defaults are. They are instead like preferences in that they effect every plan in a global manner. 

I wonder if, after you get your tool bar the way you'd like it and then go to 'customize tool bars' select configuration, copy the current tool bar to a new custom name and 'switch to' that new custom tool bar. That might give you a fall back if the config falls apart in the future.

Also check that the tool bar location to make sure it can't be overwritten with a back up or some other unwanted change to the tool bar config.

I've got my own custom tool bar set up as shown but don't know if this will help.

tool bar 1.jpg

The saga continues.... I reworked the toolbar and all was good in plan view ( see attached)  did an elevation view and the toolbar went crazy (see attached)  closed the elevation view and back to plan view the toolbar was good just the way I had set it up before doing an elevations

Plan View Toolbar.jpg

Toolbar in Elevation View.jpg

Rob, in the "Customize Toolbar" dialog there are visible settings for the different modes of toolbar displays: Plan, Layout, Elevation/Cross Section, Camera View, just as there are differing "Display Options Dialog's for plan view and each camera view. I believe that is all you are seeing.

DJP

Speaking of the toolbar, I see in the toolbar config dbx you can import a toolbar.  I was thinking a backup file that has a good toolbar set up.  However, I would assume if there is an import option there must be an export toolbar option but I have not been able to find it.

Toolbar Import.jpg

Toolbar Export.jpg

1 hour ago, RobUSMC said:

Speaking of the toolbar, I see in the toolbar config dbx you can import a toolbar.  I was thinking a backup file that has a good toolbar set up.  However, I would assume if there is an import option there must be an export toolbar option but I have not been able to find it.

Re-read the post above by @Renerabbitt

On 7/24/2020 at 11:20 AM, rgardner said:

I was having that issue on a previous version of x12 and was never able to pinpoint the issue like David mentioned to send it in.  But I think for the last two updates to chief I have not seen the issue again.  Sometimes simply closing chief and restarting would fix it but other times not.  I would have to re-import (???) my saved toolbar setup.

On 7/24/2020 at 12:28 PM, Renerabbitt said:

:)

1 hour ago, Renerabbitt said:

@RobUSMC
This same error just happened to me twice today...the only parallels I could draw between the two occurances was that I was sharing my screen on Zoom and that it happened when using the win+tab keys to switch windows

Hmmm.. Come to think of it when I was having the issue it would be when I would swipe from another screen (mac mission control allows multiple screens on the same monitor with a swipe you go back and forth.) and when I would come back to Chief it would be messed up.  I use it ALOT so it was not happening on all occurrences but that might just be the reason for the glitch.  May be good to mention this post string if one of you decides to send it to chief...

I have found that it happens when I slide one screen such as the plan view to another screen

I like to use my main (modified) Architectural toolbar "floating" with the child toolbar close to it and move them around if necessary. I had to stop trying to use it when using sections, which I like to move to another monitor, because the toolbars always "goofed up." They would change from floating to attached, sometimes on the right side of the main screen, sometimes at the top of the screen. Pain in the butt for sure. Toolbars should just "stick" when you float them instead of CA deciding they need to be somewhere else on the screen(s)' real estate. Most of the time I don't lose them, just have to hunt for them where CA put them.

Seems like a fairly common issue. I'm hearing from a lot of users.  I would think Chief would step in and address it

I had opened up a case last year over this.  I had 4 phone sessions with 2 different reps at Chief.  We tried a few things.  Nothing was achieved at least on a permanent basis.

I did figure out that if has to do with Chief's difficulty when having to work across multiple monitors.  I have Chief on my laptop which I connect another monitor to when I'm in the office.  The problem always happens when I go to the site and work with the laptop and then return to the office.  As soon as I reconnect the larger monitor my toolbars get messed up.  Not always but 3/4 of the time.

Chief is the only software I've ever seen exhibit this craziness with toolbars.

It would be less frustrating if they at least acknowledged it and we could deal with it and move on.

Instead they acted like I was the only one in the universe who ever mentioned this or had this problem.

They said they often use laptops and go in and out of the office as I do.

• Upvote 1

As Michael said, this is related to the monitor.

Try creating and locking the arrangement on the monitor that has either the smallest size or the lowest resolution.

Look through plan, elevation, section, and 3D views as part of setting up your arrangement. Any one of those views might have a unique toolbar that pops up only in those views and creates a conflict with the toolbars you've arranged in plan view. Toolbars can be view specific.

• 2 weeks later...

I am SO frustrated with this issue as it continues several times a day.  I am a former US Marine, a firefighter / paramedic, a critical care nurse, a pediatric helicopter flight nurse for 17 years but also have a successful design remodeling firm I started in 1995 so I feel I have some intelligence.  I have used chief since 1999, version 8.0 (not X-8) and I still feel I have only scratched the surface of the programs capabilities. When it comes to computing and a programs inter workings I usually have limited knowledge or clueless and it is frustrating as hell.  When I have called support, they start asking have you done this or that and when I tell them I'm not sure what you are referring too it seems that frustrates some of them and they just want to tell you anything to get you off the phone by giving a long list of things it could be.... try this or that then call us back if those don't work or the go to "it must be a system issues" that they will not address. You hang up more frustrated than before. I wish they would just try to help work through issues such as screen share, remote trouble shooting, etc. in an attempt to help.  Even though some experienced user on here give some very in depth over my head explanations to solutions (I am NOT complaining about their input at all... I just don't have the technical knowledge), we do get a lot of help from each other. If it wasn't for Chief Talk I would be lost a lot of times.  I do appreciate all the help I have received over the years.  Thank you.

• Upvote 1