Gable Strap

RobUSMC

9 minutes ago, ACADuser said:

Just made this in ACAD, give it a try.

Let me know if it works. The process for doing this is somewhat new to me.

Looks like you nailed it Alan. FWIW your symbol is twice as thick as the real model (although this will help it show up better) and it only comes in black.

Edited version is attached.

APGP Decorative Gable Plate.calibz

4 hours ago, ACADuser said:

Let me know if it works. The process for doing this is somewhat new to me.

Looks nice Alan!  The one piece of advice I would offer is that I typically avoid adding any detail that's really not needed when modeling custom 3D symbols.  Sometimes the detail is necessary and sometimes it isn't.  In the example I posted above for instance, I left off the fillets and didn't actually included the holes in the brackets either.  Very minor details, but even including the extra hex nuts, the resulting symbol still only has 1/4 of the number of faces as your more technically accurate symbol does.  All those extra faces really start to add up.  

7 minutes ago, Alaskan_Son said:

Looks nice Alan!  The one piece of advice I would offer is that I typically avoid adding any detail that's really not needed when modeling custom 3D symbols.  Sometimes the detail is necessary and sometimes it isn't.  In the example I posted above for instance, I left off the fillets and didn't actually included the holes in the brackets either.  Very minor details, but even including the extra hex nuts, the resulting symbol still only has 1/4 of the number of faces as your more technically accurate symbol does.  All those extra faces really start to add up.  

Alan can chime in, but my guess is that to save time, he just downloaded the dwg from Simpson, dragged it in, made the least adjustments possible in order to convert to a solid.

Great reminder about face count and great video!

• Like 1