Stair Tread at top Even with Floor?

wjmdes

3 minutes ago, steve_stuart said:

You should be able to set this in the Advanced Options in the stair DBX (see image). Keep in mind that the Top is actually the top of the uppermost riser, not the tread.

That does not do it....

5 minutes ago, wjmdes said:

This is with a 2X12 joist, with a 2X10, there is not a whole lotta nailing space:)

stair.thumb.JPG.703489b78ff64eaf4611202a0857bdd6.JPG

A quick google search of "stair to deck connections" would show many appropriate connecting methods that resolve the 'nailing' issue. Just the thought of stair stringers end nailed or toe-nailed to a rim-joist is cringe-worthy.

7 minutes ago, Alaskan_Son said:

I usually use some variation of this general idea...

The strap @robdyck posted works, but luckily I have been doing 2X12 rim Boards on decks anyway, cause it does not meet Simpson's criteria with a 2X10.

Just now, wjmdes said:

The strap @robdyck posted works, but luckily I have been doing 2X12 rim Boards on decks anyway, cause it does not meet Simpson's criteria with a 2X10.

That's right, and even with a 2X12, the rise would be limited to 7 1/8"...not quite enough for some installations. There are some fairly simple methods to add material below the rim joists in order to provide increased backer material. Easy enough to detail if necessary, but no doubt each carpenter may have their own preferences. Michael provided one nice example that's very simple to execute.

2 hours ago, Ridge_Runner said:

^^^ even better

6 hours ago, DzinEye said:

Or...the stringer could continue up under the main platform and rest on the beam.

Alternative.JPG

Although, it looks like it would require a bit o' thinking ahead. That's not a skill that has been evenly distributed.

6 minutes ago, robdyck said:

That's not a skill that has been evenly distributed.

You making Fun of us Builders ? :o :D 

I usually drop the Rim Joist lower ie use 2x12 at the stairs if 2x10 joists and add a 2x6 under the top tread between the stringers as well and attach it through that with Structural Screws, absolutely no toe nailing of stringers ever...that is asking for trouble....

M.