Deck/Wall snaps

jonow6

I made this useless little video showing deck railing can be placed anywhere you'd like. In the video, you'll notice I have 1" grid snaps turned on as well as a 12" grid and the deck railing will automatically be drawn on a 1" grid line. Then, each move will remain on that grid unless I choose otherwise. There should be no reason that you can't move your railing wherever you'd like it to be. @jonow6 If you post your plan, I'd be happy to look into it

3 hours ago, jonow6 said:

Thanks Alaskan_Son,

That seemed to work. :)

Still wondering if there is any way of snapping to different layers of a wall?... Thanks 

You're welcome.  As Steve mentioned above though, the invisible wall isn't a perfect solution. 

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the real problem isn't how the railing connects to the adjacent wall's main layer but rather the way the room generates the deck.  Is that correct?  Either way, to address the issues with doors, the next step would be to open up the deck room, adjust these 2 settings...

deck.thumb.png.6b0c72dd5f9548c8d2bfe427ba773088.png

...and then delete that invisible wall.  If you need to modify the deck again later you will need to repeat the process.

Regarding the wall snaps specifically though, you can select the wall, click on the Edit Wall Layer Intersection tool and then drag the layer back to the wall surface...

651454785_step1.thumb.png.c2d68fe6ea099bed847f0fe32d8261d9.png444887229_step2.thumb.png.1e6440bb34da61c2f60652db5b84e632.png885114291_step3.thumb.png.566c9049aa8948f7d5b3a43ecbbcecc2.png1193317922_step4.thumb.png.feaf4608f777c0ec6db8cf93a279db03.png

... Again, this won't really change anything in that scenario though except for the plan view wall display. 

20 hours ago, Alaskan_Son said:

Not sure what your ultimate goal is for sure, but if my guess is correct, try this...

Also works by drawing the side of the deck against the house with the Deck Edge No Railing tool, starting a few feet from from the wall then drag it up to the wall after completing the deck room.  

6 hours ago, SNestor said:

Placing a door through an invisible wall can create some issues...

Steve, I didn't try the invisible wall method, but probably will work the same as with the method I just suggested here... under Door> Casing > Double Wall Options, select 'Not Through'.