CA functionality - component/object manipulation

jonow6

I am new with CA and trying to gain an understanding of how it works and how to use it as a design tool. I am coming from Revit (not trying to compare) which allows any object wall, floor, roof etc, whether custom or not, to snap and associate with the other objects around it which makes placement and manipulating precise and quick. 

In starting to use CA, I have found it to be somewhat hit or miss as to what snaps and/or associates and what doesn't. It seems to mostly come up in elevation views when manipulating the height of objects or their x/y location on a vertical plane, where they don't seems to want to snap to anything. One example is using the point to point move tool in an elevation view. It allows you to select an object, and will snap to lines, edges etc. in a plan view but does not snap to anything in elevation views. (unless perhaps I am missing something in my settings... snap settings are turned on). Another example would be when manipulation wall heights in a 3D or elevation view, the tops or bottoms of the wall won't snap or associate to any objects above, below or around them.

Now obviously this may not be a thought or care for some which is completely fine. It just happens to be something I appreciate in an arch CAD program. I was originally trained in and spent quite a few years doing mechanical product design (which I continue to do) and appreciate fitment and precision when it comes to working with assemblies, and this carried into do architectural design with Revit. So I am trying to learn and get used to CA's ways of doing things. Not saying they are bad, just different than what I am used to.

I suppose my question is whether this is the way CA works as a program and in turn I should learn to use it without the snaps and associations, or whether there are features and functions that I am unaware of that allow for the above mentioned snapping and association. I realize and acknowledge CA does a great job at this will joining walls, inserting doors, windows etc. My thoughts are more on snapping the tops or bottoms of walls to the elevation of others around them, or heights of posts and other inserted objects, or using the point to point move tool in elevations views etc. It mostly seems to relate to manipulating components and objects in elevations rather than in plans. Also, I am learning you can use precise inputs (dimensioning), but it does speed things up when you can snap something rather than crunching numbers.

I do look forward to getting to know the program and learning its features and functions, but its always nice to get input and direction so I'm not wasting time trying to get the program to do something it doesn't do, but in fact may having other efficient ways of accomplishing the same thing. Any guidance or tips are appreciated.

Welcome to our forums, to substantiate my response I will state that I am a power user of this software. Also, please take the time to fill out your signature so that we can better assist you moving forward.

1 hour ago, jonow6 said:

One example is using the point to point move tool in an elevation view. It allows you to select an object, and will snap to lines, edges etc. in a plan view but does not snap to anything in elevation views. (

Elevation views do have their limitations and take a bit of getting used to when transitioning from other software. Make sure you have your cross section layer on as it will provide some snapping. Ultimately you may consider shifting your design workflow to plan and 3d views.

1 hour ago, jonow6 said:

Another example would be when manipulation wall heights in a 3D or elevation view, the tops or bottoms of the wall won't snap or associate to any objects above, below or around them.

There are 1000's of posts in these forums in regards to this subject. I am in the majority who would tell you to please not manipulate wall heights. Walls are driven by room/floor specifications. Think of chief walls as part of a platform frame assembly. When I am training drafters in Chief I tell them they can't touch wall edit handles until they learn how to manipulate wall heights without them. Manually edited wall heights really do cause more problems than they solve in most cases.

2 hours ago, jonow6 said:

appreciate fitment and precision

Chief  easily attains 100% accuracy. Vector based on a coordinate grid down to 1/256th I believe(devs can correct me on that).
Make sure to learn the TAB input method. 

2 hours ago, jonow6 said:

My thoughts are more on snapping the tops or bottoms of walls to the elevation of others around them, or heights of posts and other inserted objects, or using the point to point move tool in elevations views etc.

Again, just not the way CA functions. without writing a book on the subject, I could tell you that I could easily double the design and/or drafting speed of a Revit drafter on an 100% accurate residence. That just to say that Chief is extremely efficient when you learn its ways.
 This video has no sound, just showing height adjustments:

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Hi Renerabbitt,

Thanks for your reply. That is helpful and thanks for sharing. My first project I tried with CA was/is a raised concrete porch with a timber framed roof. May have been a bit of an ambitious first project for a newb to the program. From your comments, I feel a bit more confident that I will settle into CA over time. Thanks again