Material for bottom of wall

jonow6

Hello all,

I am new to CA and am having trouble getting the bottom of my 'wall/railing' to match the material of the rest of my porch. I have tried using the material eyedropper which doesn't want to work. I also went into the wall type and made sure it was just one layer. Not sure what I'm missing...

porch.PNG

porch1.PNG

It worked, until I changed the railing to invisible then it went back to the regular concrete.  However, I went in the actual floor structure settings in the Room Specifications and changed the Floor Structure material and then it worked.  Thanks for your help!!  

• Upvote 1

Double click on the room so it opens the  "Room Specifications" window and at the bottom in this window there is "Floor Structure", click on the edit button of the Floor Structures and change the material there.  That seemed to work for me although I did have to pull up your walls a bit to hide the gap in between because it was still showing the regular concrete from the walls.  

30 minutes ago, QualicoreHomes said:

Double click on the room so it opens the  "Room Specifications" window and at the bottom in this window there is "Floor Structure", click on the edit button of the Floor Structures and change the material there.  That seemed to work for me although I did have to pull up your walls a bit to hide the gap in between because it was still showing the regular concrete from the walls.  

Thanks QualicoreHomes,

I was able to get it to work doing what you said. I think I'm just used to Revit where walls, floors etc snap to each other and maintain a link. When I pulled the walls up to meet the slab, there was no snap but basically had to eyeball the height. This made me think it was the wrong way to do it. Kinda used to the precision and everything associating. Can go around and use dimensions from an elevation view, but doesn't seem like the most efficient process.

Is there a way for the foundation walls to snap to the slab/floor?.. 

The posts I put in I had to manually set the height again because they wouldn't snap to the beam. have had the same experience with moving and placing some other objects. It seems a bit hit or miss with what will snap and what won't. In all of this, my object snap setting was turned on.

Perhaps I'm just missing something in the functionality or it's just something I'll just have to get used to. 

15 hours ago, jonow6 said:

Hello all,

I am new to CA and am having trouble getting the bottom of my 'wall/railing' to match the material of the rest of my porch. I have tried using the material eyedropper which doesn't want to work. I also went into the wall type and made sure it was just one layer. Not sure what I'm missing...

porch.PNG

porch1.PNG

@solver gave you the answer.  Just change the material in the wall definition.  In the example he posted he created a single layer wall for the wall type and used stone as the material.  Done.