back to back cabinets countertop overhang

rwdozier

Two different height cabinets back to back with taller cabinet countertop overhanging off the back over the lower.

Using automatic countertops, I have accomplished this before in a test plan (attached) but I can't seem to get the upper countertop to overhang the lower in my final plan. There must be a secret of forcing the overhang. Now I try it in my test plan and can't reproduce the success. The right cabinets are what I am attempting to do.

Any suggestions? I may answer myself by just using custom countertops.

Thanks!

Cabinet_Overhang.plan

I know, easy peasy on that one extending the overhang. Drag the taller cabinet away from the lower and then back again and the overhang goes away and it doesn't want to overhang again. I don't know how I got it to overhang in the first place.

17 minutes ago, rwdozier said:

I know, easy peasy on that one extending the overhang. Drag the taller cabinet away from the lower and then back again and the overhang goes away and it doesn't want to overhang again. I don't know how I got it to overhang in the first place.

Yes that is a bit odd that it changes the cabinet but not the DBX information.  Possibly an auto bump feature.  It does however retain the data and overhang if it is separated again.

Looks like it was not bumped originally on the posted file but slightly overlapped.

Yes, manual/custom countertops are the better way to do it.

However, with automatic countertops, I was able to successfully get the taller cabinet to overhang in the back by overlapping the back of one the cabinets just 1/8".

Automatic counter tops just aren't as smart as you would like them to be.  If you have one cabinet that is taller than the other, then it should probably use the overhang but it won't because the program sees the cabinets as attached to each other and doesn't account for the different heights.   The best solution is to use the Generate Custom Countertop tool and then manually pull the countertop out to create the overhang you want.

By overlapping the cabinets, you are simply preventing the program from allowing them to attach to each other.  This is usually not a good solution since this will cause a variety of other side effects including incorrect plan views and camera views.  Another trick you can use to get one cabinet to not attach to another one is to convert one of them into an architectural block.  This can also have side effects but at least your drawings will be more accurate.   

If it's helpful, the counter tops will generate as long as there is more than a 3" gap. It may work for you to use a partition to fill the void, reduce the lower cabinet's depth, and adjust the overhang of both cabinets as needed. In this pic, the lower cabinet over hangs the back by 3 1/6". The upper overhangs by 16", and there is a partition in between with a depth of 3 1/16".

image.thumb.png.94e78fd8e3b1c69ea947f475fa5cdd69.png