Different Layer Nomenclature

skoz44

I'm looking for a different method to name and organize my layers.  The default method that comes with Chief is a little cumbersome because I have to remember the first word to find what I'm looking for.  This is even more difficult when I create a custom layer for a project.  I realize I can use the filter, but when you're changing the layer of an actual object, there is no filter.

Anybody have a system they are using that they like?

Or is there something I don't know about chief that will simplify this?

An example of a custom layer is I'm currently doing a house that has some custom pop-outs in the stucco, so I've placed them on their own layer.  The largest issue is simply navigating the list.

Honestly, just looking for another method to organize them.

I make custom layers for things all the time. Usually they are project specific. 

It helps to start every layer name with a space. That way all the custom layers associated with the project are at the top of the list. 

7 hours ago, skoz44 said:

I realize I can use the filter, but when you're changing the layer of an actual object, there is no filter.

This isn't entirely true.  Instead of simply choosing from the dropdown, click Define.  Then you can use the filter.  Also, don't forget that depending on the circumstances you can also use the Layer Painter tool, The Layer Eyedropper, the Match Properties tool, or the Object Eyedropper to change an object's layer as well.