garage designation and separation

Hammer7

Pretty sure you can do it here but you can't make the upstairs be loft like with railing above looking down to the garage. We have to have a 20 minute fire-rated door (self-closing) that goes to the living space above. There would have to be an egress window upstairs (bedroom or not).

9 hours ago, Hammer7 said:

Has anyone come across this before?  Can I have an open railed stair to a second floor shop space (no closet) above a garage without having to close in the stair to isolate the car space?

If it's truly 'shop space' (related to the garage use) then it possibly could squeak by under mezzanine rules, but that would limit the square footage.  You'd need to confirm with the jurisdictions building department.

19 minutes ago, robdyck said:

I can't imagine any jurisdiction allowing an open design from a potential garage to a habitable space.

This is true, but am I missing something?...  where did the OP mention or intimate anything about 'habitable' space?  'Garage' and  'shop space' were mentioned.   

• Like 1

1 minute ago, DzinEye said:

This is true, but am I missing something?...  where did the OP mention or intimate anything about 'habitable' space?  'Garage' and  'shop space' were mentioned.   

Whoops. Edited my post.