Porch Gable End

stevenyhof

Hello,

I have been learning a lot about building porches, both manually and using Railings.

I used a Room Divider to make the concrete pad. Then a molding profile to add 4" around it. 

I made a 1x1 sq profile and made my beam, and added in my columns.

I built several porches trying different roofs, but end up with no gable end wall. 

I tried added an exterior wall and making it an attic wall, which added some frieze boards, but the wall just covered my porch from concrete up.

Not finding much on videos for porches.

Thank you

gable end.jpg

Try this: Change your room divider on the porch level to the wall you want to see above then set it to invisible instead of room divider.

Btw If you use an actual floor/ceiling beam and posts it is dynamic and the material list is accurate.  You can resize it how you want.

13 minutes ago, stevenyhof said:

I am assuming that I remove the funny frieze boards (ends) and add my own profile using moldings ???

Sorry cannot make out from the picture what you are referring to.  But yes sometimes frieze boards are troublesome at endings. You can turn them off or adjust them with the roof dbx.

• Like 1

@stevenyhof - I made this quickie "loom" video just the other day for someone else asking about porches.  It doesn't cover every topic...but, it does show how to use railing walls for your porch walls...which is the easy way to get your posts and a beam right where you need them. 

Here's a link to the video:  https://www.loom.com/share/a2dba97a4f2947c4a81c0d21a5b104a6

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SNestor said:

@stevenyhof - I made this quickie "loom" video just the other day for someone else asking about porches.  It doesn't cover every topic...but, it does show how to use railing walls for your porch walls...which is the easy way to get your posts and a beam right where you need them. 

Here's a link to the video:  https://www.loom.com/share/a2dba97a4f2947c4a81c0d21a5b104a6

Thank you! Looking into it now

2 hours ago, SNestor said:

Wow! You did in 1 minute what took me at least 3 hours! That was too simple! Now mind you, I did add an extra 4" all around my conc. floor and spent time learning moldings and profiles, and also built a beam :) 

I would guess that after you built that porch, you could add the 4" to the concrete, the columns and the beam(s).

Nice work!

Thank you Steve - I just drew a new porch following your video - worked perfectly! 5 mins! I also added my 4" to the conc pad, the beam and columns.

Not too bad for a newbie! Must be in the name ;) Oh! Please ignore the second floor windows :P

nice.jpg

Steve, I think I just watched your screen porch videos. At one point you changed the thickness of the wall to increase the size of the porch conc. Maybe I’ll have to mess with that to add the 4” I like outside my columns. But then I guess it will push out on the roof also???

53 minutes ago, stevenyhof said:

Steve, I think I just watched your screen porch videos. At one point you changed the thickness of the wall to increase the size of the porch conc. Maybe I’ll have to mess with that to add the 4” I like outside my columns. But then I guess it will push out on the roof also???

Steve - a railing wall will center on the width of the wall type. The only issue is the room ceiling also extends to the  width of the wall.  This can be a problem at times. 

23 minutes ago, SNestor said:

At one point you changed the thickness of the wall to increase the size of the porch conc. Maybe I’ll have to mess with that to add the 4” I like outside my columns. But then I guess it will push out on the roof also???

Steve,

There is another way to do this.

Go to the Wall Definition dbx and enter -4" in the Foundation Offset.

This will increase the size of the slab, leave the wall where it is and it will not push out the roof.

In the plan, you will need to hide the invisible walls and draw cad lines (or some other method) to represent the true size of the slab.

I suspect, using your molding method, that in a 3D vector view, you would see the line between the slab and your molding polyline? 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

9 hours ago, glennw said:

Steve,

There is another way to do this.

This will increase the size of the slab, leave the wall where it is and it will not push out the roof.

In the plan, you will need to hide the invisible walls and draw cad lines (or some other method) to represent the true size of the slab.

I suspect, using your molding method, that in a 3D vector view, you would see the line between the slab and your molding polyline? 

Thanks.  Good info.  

10 hours ago, glennw said:

I was wondering if a negative 4 would do something - but I thought it would only push out the foundation and not the footing so I didn't try. Ugh! Going to test that now.

@stevenyhof 

you can mess around all day trying to get Chief to build a porch just the way you want it - and never reach utopia.  

Ive decided my time is to valuable. So - most of the time I create a basic porch - either lower the floor by an additional 1/8” or just make it a room without a floor.  The I use the room molding polyline and convert it to a countertop-add a beveled edge molding-make the top 8” thick and change the material to concrete.  I set  the top elevation using the absolute elevation.  Done.  Then I move on to other things that make me crazy - like the stairs.  

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, SNestor said:

@stevenyhof 

you can mess around all day trying to get Chief to build a porch just the way you want it - and never reach utopia.  

Ive decided my time is to valuable. So - most of the time I create a basic porch - either lower the floor by an additional 1/8” or just make it a room without a floor.  The I use the room molding polyline and convert it to a countertop-add a beveled edge molding-make the top 8” thick and change the material to concrete.  I set  the top elevation using the absolute elevation.  Done.  Then I move on to other things that make me crazy - like the stairs.  

Thank you so much! That makes a lot of sense! I seen some things using counter tops, so will give that a try. I did not think about a room without a floor - that is a great idea. While I do like if the system can auto create something, and therefore trying to find out, I feel very comfortable manually creating things and placing them in the model. In a sense I feel more in control that way. But, that being said, I love what Chief does to automate the process, I'm going to find and use that to my advantage.

I just like systems, or processes that can be replicated and become part of the "standard" method to designing a house plan. Outside the "standard process" the sky's the limit - but that just takes more time and I would guess you guys continually run into something that requires additional time spent on a plan. Before I feel comfortable using Chief to design plans, I need to get my "standards" down first and then try out other "far-out" things we all run into.