Best way to rotate entire plan for off-angle ADU?

Christina_Girerd

I have a triangle shaped lot which was set so that the original house that I remodeled 10 years ago has walls at 0 and 90 degrees.  Now the client wants an ADU along the angled back fence, and the ADU walls will be at odd angles like -27 and 63 degrees.  I added the angles I need for the ADU into the Default Settings / Plan tab, but I'd rather temporarily rotate the whole plan while I'm designing the ADU. 

What's the best way to do that?  I tried searching with terms like "rotate plan" etc, but couldn't seem to pull up anything in help, Chieftalk or training videos.  I know I've seen something about it in the past, but maybe I'm not using the right search terms.  Thanks.

ADU Area.JPG

I run into this issue often - and in Chief its super tough to make work in a "live" view at certain angles.  What i've done is have a separate file for the element to be on angle, but keep it in that file as a "normal" 0,90,180 degree axis for modeling and working on the design - but then make a symbol of the entire structure to show the client a realistic view of the entire project.  Rotating a symbol object is far more easy to control.

• Upvote 1

I assume you already drew plans for the home. If so, I'd draw the ADU as a separate plan. If I needed to show them together for visuals, I'd convert the ADU to a fixture (once its complete) and place it as an object in the original plan. 

Thanks for all the tips.  After trying the various options, I will create the ADU in a separate plan. 

Before I posted in here, I tried the Transform/Replicate option, thinking I'd try to select everything and then rotate, but I did not get a Rotate option.  (see attached)   I turned all the layers on, made sure nothing was locked, but something blocked it.  It worked fine on a test plan with hardly anything in it.   Then I tried the Rotate Plan View option, which seemed so easy at first, but then I found out it is really only visual and even the selection rectangles drawn are still on the original angles.  That would be super frustrating. 

Definitely will make a suggestion about this, to add to whatever some of you might have already suggested.  Johnny's video post sure looks nice and easy!  Can't imagine trying to create that multi-angled building in Chief right now.  Kind of fun to see that software since that was what I used before I jumped ship to Chief years ago because of Chief's easier ray tracing. 

2020 07 20 No Rotate option.JPG

5 minutes ago, Renerabbitt said:

Not really sure why no one is sticking to the edit area suggestion. the tool works perfect for me every time

I think you're right if you're just going to model the entire structure and then rotate it at the end - but if you're building the structure in place on an angle Chief handles this poorly in my opinion. 

Christina,

Try excluding any cameras from your selection and then try Transform/Replicate again.

You can just lock the camera layers to prevent them from being selected.

You may also have to do a Rebuild, Walls, Floors and Ceilings which I find is needed sometimes.