Automatic vs. Custom Countertop Material List Area

rwdozier

They are actually both wrong but 5.07 would not be an issue in this situation.  I would check to see is someone like @MarkMc has any knowledge of the problem and send it into tech support as it seems to be functioning the same way in the latest updated of X12.

image.thumb.png.96631fe43f45755b764d563ef73ede16.png

2 hours ago, rwdozier said:

Anyone using the area calculated in the material list for automatic cabinet countertops? Why does calculate differently than the custom countertop.

See my example plan file...

Thanks.

Cabinet_Overhang.plan

The Automatic Counter Top only "sends" the Front Overhang to the ML            ( 24"w x 25.5"d )

The Custom Counter Top Sends ALL overhangs to the ML                                  (27" w x 27"d)

M.

4 minutes ago, rwdozier said:

Thanks, I submitted an online support case.

In the mean time it could be done correctly with a custom macro as I am not sure there will be any more updates for X12.

8 minutes ago, Kbird1 said:

The Automatic Counter Top only "sends" the Front Overhang to the ML            ( 24"w x 25.5"d )

The Custom Counter Top Sends ALL overhangs to the ML                                  (27" w x 27"d)

M.

aha! That explains the areas I was getting in the ML while changing different overhangs in the Automatic Counter Top. Thanks guys!

Thank you for submitting this problem to our tech support team.   Please be sure to always report these kinds of problems directly to tech support so that we are aware of them and can improve the program by making the material list calculations more accurate.

For now, you could convert your automatic counter tops into custom ones using the Generate Custom Countertop tool to make sure that you are getting the most accurate area calculations.  Please note that you can do this very quickly by just group selecting all of your base cabinets and doing it in one step.  If you need to make changes later, you can either manually edit the custom countertops or just delete them and generate them again.

I can't offer more than Dermot said. I only ever use custom counter tops and always send for a quote. Chief deducts the footage of the sink cutout, does not account for undermount charges or for any extra charges caused by corner configuration or seam placement. I would not expect them to. I suppose you could solve some of those with a macro (and throwing extra $$ to CYA) Laminate counters are even worse with varied charges.

Then you still only get a countertop drawing if you use custom counters-regular counters don't show up unless the cabinets are included. So I use custom tops which as Dermot points out are a breeze nowadays.

image.thumb.png.b5a6148240d2dd47132b903e08bcea0b.png

• Like 1