OHWM Setback on survey

AlbertColts

I can't seem to figure out how to offset the Ordinary High Water Mark on my survey.  My county zoning office uses a tool in their GIS software that allows you to essentially trace the line with a 150' wide line (any width can be entered) that gives you the 75' offset on each side.  The offset it makes ensures you are 75' away from the OHWM at any point along the setback line.  Just offsetting the line 75' doesn't work because their are points where it infringes on the 75' required setback.  I am looking for suggestions.  Thanks for any help!

Offset.jpg

Go Preferences>Edit>Behaviours>check Concentric, enter 75'.

Select the line, select Copy/Paste.

Click over one of the corner (where any 2 line segments join) edit handles (NOT the centre Move handle) and drag in the direction of the offset.

This will evenly offset every line segment by the same amount - unlike trying to drag with the centre move handle.

It sounds like you need to offset both ways (I don't understand why?) - you can't do that in the one step.

Do one side and then the other - only takes a second.

• Upvote 1

Glen, if you could do a video at your convenience, I would appreciate the additional instruction. I cannot get your technique to work. Yes, I can use the Concentric behavior to uniformly offset a polyline, but I cannot accurately control the offset distance. Perhaps it's something simple I'm missing, but I'm flummoxed. 

Just now, DzinEye said:

.. but sure wish we had a basic 'offset' command that we could just input a distance on the fly.

I agree. I know this topic has been raised as a Suggestion. Chief is still way behind in basic CAD functionality.

13 hours ago, glennw said:

Go Preferences>Edit>Behaviours>check Concentric, enter 75'.

11 hours ago, rlackore said:

but I cannot accurately control the offset distance. Perhaps it's something simple I'm missing, but I'm flummoxed. 

Maybe I should have been a bit more specific:

Go Preferences>Edit>Behaviours>check Concentric > Jump> enter 75'.