Creating Desert Landscape

skoz44

I live in Tucson, AZ and I'm trying to create a natural landscape for Tucson.  Palo Verde trees, Mesquite Trees, paddle cactus, saguaros, natural bushes, etc.  I've attached some photos of what it looks like, then also attached a photo of my best shot at "Tritchel Landscape".  Still I don't think it looks very close.

Any help on doing this would be appreciated.

IMG_20200701_093606.jpg

IMG_20200701_093719.jpg

Tucson Landscape.jpg

Tritchel Landscape.pdf

I would use some Distribution Regions with options like Evenly Scattered, Object Scaling and Random Angle, Object Scaling, etc.

You can only have one plant type to each region, but it only takes a short time to copy one region (Hold Position), and select another plant.

You can quickly build up a fairly complex looking plant layout.

Very fast and easy to change the parameters to get different effects instantly.

I think that landscaping always looks better with 3D objects rather than the 2D images which look....flat!

2D plants do not change appearance as you rotate the model or individual plants, but 3D plants will change as they are rotated.

Here is a quick one I did in about 1 minute.

Screen Shot 2020-07-19 at 9.53.51 am.png

Parkwest, I'll check it out.

Glenn, I've been looking for some 3D versions and will try your suggestion.  I think the main think I'm having difficulty with is the dirt and trying to make it look like the real dirt in a picture.  For that matter, I have that issue with a lot of items.  For ex., for my projects using slump block, I have a Texture image of slump block that I have made white.  I can then use that image and blend the texture with a color.  My theory was then I could make whatever color of block I'd like.

The issue I have, is I can never make it look like a photo.  I've even tried sampling the block in an actual photo and applying that.  The end result is WAY off from the color in the photo.

Any suggestions on improving the accuracy of this?