Set elevation dimensions for header on a different line

stevenyhof

1. First question, see image, is there a way to add header dims as shown? Not cut into the wall height.
  2. The dims that do not fit between their extension lines, is there an offset somewhere so they do not cut into the other dims? (see 1-1/2" and 10")

headers.jpg

9 minutes ago, Alaskan_Son said:

I offer custom tutorial videos as a service, but this one is on the house...

1. The header solution is perfect!
  2. For the smaller dims, I know I can drag them, and I will - But, while dragging them works - just wondering if there is a setting for the dims that do not fit between their extension lines - like so they are not overlapping the other dims.

Thank you again - Enjoy your weekend!

39 minutes ago, stevenyhof said:

just wondering if there is a setting for the dims that do not fit between their extension lines - like so they are not overlapping the other dims.

Not so much.  Either:

1. Edit them as I showed
  2. Remove them as I showed
  3. Manually position a new dimension and format it more to your liking
  4. Simply fill it in with CAD/text
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Alaskan_Son said:

Not so much.  Either:

1. Edit them a I showed
  2. Remove them as I showed
  3. Manually position a new dimension and format it more to your liking
  4. Simply fill it in with CAD/text

Very good! Thank you

I believe that you are talking about how the dimension text cuts out the dimension line.

This is caused by the fill for the text box.

This is from memory, but you should get the idea - just have a play with these settings.

At the moment, you are probably using Use Layer For Text Style.

If, instead you use Custom Text Style or Text Style, you can specify a Transparent Fill for the dim text and the dim line will display through the text box.

Oh, don't forget that if you want to hide or delete parts of the dimension string we can use Blank Segment and/or Suppress Dimension.  

Very good - I may try the transparent tip - but I am liking what it looks like. And I use End to End to add the header dims, and the 8'0 foundation height. As long as I find solid ways to do things I want to keep learning and move forward. If I am happy (enough) to where I know I can draw a nice looking and easy reading plan, I will begin sooner. As I move forward I will continue to learn more of these little tricks and tips, thanks to many of you guys who are very helpful in this new adventure. 

Today I just draw several two story homes and ranch homes, over and over - fine tune some defaults - erase all the floor, update my template, start again, learned a lot about rooms today and then got side tracked into these sections lines. All that to say, I can see that on more straight forward homes, a lot can be done in an hour! Roofs were another thing I messed with but lost interest with so much to them, but learned a lot about joining - will keep going on this tomorrow. 

When I was drawing on the board and learning about ACAD, every job that came in made me antsy to try the CAD. I think it was over a year before I forced myself to just jump! I remember it well, back when things were 2D yet, but I was drawing the railing on a large front porch, copy, paste, click, click (I still did not learn the array). Then my 2 year old son was playing under my desk and pulled the plug out of the wall. :o I learned real quick that saving your plan constantly was also very important!

Well, that is the way I feel now. I thought I had a pretty amazing set up with ADT and the years of work I put into that, and now working with Chief, I am feeling that same antsy push to jump! Soon Steve, soon! Anyway, thank you and all you guys for all your help!

dims.jpg