Knee wall showing through the elevation

stevenyhof

I am working though the video on building a cape code roof - doing it step by step.

However, I get the knee wall showing through on the elevation. I deleted the wall and mirrored the other knee wall, but that did the same thing.

1. is there a setting I can click to prevent this?
  2. can things like this (unwanted lines, etc.) be removed from the elevations?

Thank you

vid.jpg

issue.jpg

@stevenyhof quick and easy to post a .plan and get much better answers...You'll find that many of our resident experts have very formidable screen casting/recording setups and can make very robust videos that cover solutions and best approaches...but we need your .plan file. 
Make a habit of uploading your .plan for every thread and you will be rewarded, I promise.
Simply select and drag your .plan from your Finder/Explorer window into your browser and it will auto load if below 25mb.

11 minutes ago, Renerabbitt said:

Assuming you won't be platform framing your attic room, I would set your exterior walls to balloon frame on floor 2.

We typically set attic trusses on top of the main floor top plate. We do not balloon frame around here.

5 minutes ago, stevenyhof said:

I'll come back to this tutorial. I have messed with a lot of roof examples now from multiple videos and doing quite well - just got stuck here

No sound, I simply change the two unconditioned rooms to default height and change your gable end wall to balloon framed

15 minutes ago, Renerabbitt said:

You don't build a rake wall at your gable ends?

I'd expect that if they typically use an attic truss, that the truss supplier would provide a gable end truss and the framer would in-fill frame the wall to the open portion of the truss that is the room.

2 minutes ago, robdyck said:

I'd expect that if they typically use an attic truss, that the truss supplier would provide a gable end truss and the framer would in-fill frame the wall to the open portion of the truss that is the room.

No argument there, I've seen it both ways.. @stevenyhof Make sure when you set your trusses you designate your end truss and reduced gable in truss DBX General\Option if you are framing lookouts/outriggers

10 minutes ago, Renerabbitt said:

No sound, I simply change the two unconditioned rooms to default height and change your gable end wall to balloon framed

thank you for this!! Seems so simple -perhaps the training video was trying to show options - maybe to get the roof to start from a lower starting point so it was not placed on the second floor top plate.

17 minutes ago, Alaskan_Son said:

Just FYI,  there should be no reason you have to reduce the ceiling height in those 2 attic areas.  That's actually the source of your unusual wall issues.

That was simple! I love when defaults work.

I think in the video tutorial, she set the wall height to 12" to start the roof from. I got the strange results, but changing the walls AFTER the roof was on back to the defaults seemed to do the trick. I will also remember what "Renerabbitt" showed in the video.

Thank you guys!

1 minute ago, stevenyhof said:

That was simple! I love when defaults work.

I think in the video tutorial, she set the wall height to 12" to start the roof from. I got the strange results, but changing the walls AFTER the roof was on back to the defaults seemed to do the trick. I will also remember what "Renerabbitt" showed in the video.

Thank you guys!

You bet.  Not sure which video you're referring to, but I would really recommend you watch any videos with a few very important pieces of information in mind....

1. The video may or may not be relevant or accurate in light of the most current version.  Tools are added (and sometimes removed), functionalities are changed, bugs are fixed, etc.  Sometimes what's shown in the video no longer applies.  Unfortunately, its not feasible to remake every video for every new release though so this is just something you have to be aware of.
  2. The video may or may not apply to your particular plan.  It's super common that the example being shown has some crucial difference from the plan you might be using and so the process or application thereof may be totally different. 
  3. The video may completely skip over the thing you're most hoping to learn from it. 

Videos can be great for teaching some of the basic principles and for addressing some very specific issues, but for general learning, I think it's pretty common that they introduce just as many questions as they do answers.

26 minutes ago, robdyck said:

@stevenyhof I messed around with this plan for a bit just to show how I'd set this up. Take a look and do with it what you like!

image.thumb.png.22e0311201be873406eded88da9efaab.pngimage.thumb.png.764b1ec0b6c320cdfa97547465d39429.png

cape code test-robd1.plan

Its things like knowing others like yourself can take this and modify it and end up looking amazing that keeps me excited about Chief when I get frustrated. But I am only like 3 weeks in, so feel like I have come a long way. Thank you