Slab on frost walls

jwaldie

Hello all,

So I am considering switching from Revit to CA and playing around with the trial. Pretty good so far, though not quite as intuitive as Revit.. though this may be more due to familiarity. Anyway, I am trying to build a raised porch area with a concrete slab that sits on a foundation wall (see attached sketch). There will also be a small gable roof extending out over the porch with posts. I watched a few instructional videos about using a railing to make a porch (not exactly intuitive) but it seems more like a crude workaround and somewhat finicky.

I drew a slab and then drew foundation walls to it, but it doesn't seem to 'snap' or connect to the slab. I manually dragged and changed the wall heights in an elevation view, but again, it doesn't seem to snap to the slab or associate with it. Is there a process that someone could suggest for this? Thanks

IMG_6440.JPG

Just use invisible walls to define the "room" as a porch. Select the invisible walls and open the DBX, you will see under STRUCTURE an option to add a foundation wall & footing to those walls. Now, even if the walls move, the foundation will follow them.

18 hours ago, jwaldie said:

using a railing to make a porch (not exactly intuitive) but it seems more like a crude workaround and somewhat finicky.

Hmm. Works great for me.

Not trying to be an ass, but just saying that once you understand how the program works and stop judging it by a foreign standard, it actually does that quite well.

On 7/17/2020 at 8:45 PM, Rpadge said:

Why are you considering switching?

I do more residential projects than commercial and although I appreciate Revit's capabilities, it is more geared towards commercial.

On 7/18/2020 at 9:21 AM, Chrisb222 said:

Hmm. Works great for me.

Not trying to be an ass, but just saying that once you understand how the program works and stop judging it by a foreign standard, it actually does that quite well.

Thanks for your input and I'm glad to hear it. It's one of those things where you try it out and ask as many questions as possible in the beginning so you're not stuck regretting the time and money invested in making the switch.

I'm not so concerned about judging CA, but more so whether the capabilities are there and whether they built-in functions or if you have to use workarounds to get the desired end result. From the videos I have seen and the little I have used it, it seems like a great program, but to the extent that it is up to me, I want to avoid any regrets.

35 minutes ago, jwaldie said:

Thanks for your input and I'm glad to hear it. It's one of those things where you try it out and ask as many questions as possible in the beginning so you're not stuck regretting the time and money invested in making the switch.

I'm not so concerned about judging CA, but more so whether the capabilities are there and whether they built-in functions or if you have to use workarounds to get the desired end result. From the videos I have seen and the little I have used it, it seems like a great program, but to the extent that it is up to me, I want to avoid any regrets.

A porch like you are describing is "easy" in Chief.  I made you a quickie "loom" video. Click the link...https://www.loom.com/share/a2dba97a4f2947c4a81c0d21a5b104a6

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, DzinEye said:

Steve, just curious... Are you switching over to 'loom' from YouTube or just trying it out or something else?

I'm not switching...just saving time. I use it when the answers are "simple"...:)